PDA

View Full Version : Longspine Cardinalfish

Surfacer
02/12/2011, 08:31 PM
I have been wanting to add a group of 5-10 Longspine Cardinalfish to my aquarium. I have searched in the archives and other sources for information about them, how they act, what they eat, how often they need to be fed, etc... but have come up with less answers than I expected to out there. I figured asking for experiences with them would be my next best thing.

So, do any of you reefers have experience with Zoramia leptacanthus? Are they an easy fish? Did you have a group of five or more? Did they stick together or separate throughout your aquarium? Did you need to feed them multiple times a day? Did they live a long time or do they slowly pick away at each other much like green chromis do?

Here is a picture of my aquarium as well

waldomas
02/12/2011, 08:34 PM
I don't know much about those fish but...

I love the pic over the tank!
Nice tank too! :D

Surfacer
02/12/2011, 08:35 PM
Sorry for the picture quality, I took it with my cell phone. I just wanted to give you an idea of my rock structure in hopes it would help.

jmchzn123
02/12/2011, 08:36 PM
GREAT FISH! Yes they school. No they don't pick each other off however I couldnt get them to live past about 2 years. I had 7 for about 2 yrs then they started to disappear over a 2 week period. I have no clue what happened. I had 7 twice and same story with both schools.

waldomas
02/12/2011, 08:39 PM
I think they are active fish swimming mid-column and require a fair amount of feeding.

JackiB
02/12/2011, 10:37 PM
I have been wanting to get a group but I have heard that they are notoriousy bad shippers. They are beautiful fish. I assume they feed like other cardinals. I saw a big group at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and fell in love with them.

IFbettas
02/13/2011, 04:58 PM
I'm also interested in getting a group of these fish. Does anyone know if they usually stick to the rocks or will they school out in the open too? I'm thinking I'd get around 8-10 for my 180.

Surfacer
02/16/2011, 01:30 AM
GREAT FISH! Yes they school. No they don't pick each other off however I couldnt get them to live past about 2 years. I had 7 for about 2 yrs then they started to disappear over a 2 week period. I have no clue what happened. I had 7 twice and same story with both schools.

Sorry to hear about them disappearing after 2 years. I wonder what made them go? I am thinking more the better but are they better off in odd numbers or does it matter?
Anyone else have experience with these fish?

Surfacer
02/16/2011, 01:32 AM
I have been wanting to get a group but I have heard that they are notoriousy bad shippers. They are beautiful fish. I assume they feed like other cardinals. I saw a big group at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and fell in love with them.

Really? I heard the red spot cardinals are poor shippers but I did not know that about the longspines.