PDA

View Full Version : AI Sol

bradjc
02/12/2011, 08:50 PM
In order to have the AI Sol work with the Neptune Apex lite controller I need the following:

Aqua Illuminations to VDM Adapter Cable (about $18)
VDM Variable Speed Dimming Module (about $100)

Is this correct and is there anything else I would need?

Thank you

jlylec
02/12/2011, 09:23 PM
In order to have the AI Sol work with the Neptune Apex lite controller I need the following:

Thank you
Additionally (looking at being in the same situation) can you run as many Sol units as you want/need without buying anything else? I'm looking at 4 units.

Squanto804
02/12/2011, 10:27 PM
Yes, that is all you'll need. I'm running 6 AI Sols using the VDM.

Scott

swoods140
02/13/2011, 01:17 AM
Is there any advantage to controlling these units through the VDM compared to the AI controller? It's my understanding that as of now all 3 led channels can be individually controlled through the AI controller but not the VDM.

bradjc
02/13/2011, 08:06 AM
swoods140
Here is the advantage the way I see it:

1.) Everything on my fish tank will be controlled through 1 unit the Apex controller
2.) With the Apex controller I can control it through my Local Area Network and thus anything that can connect to the internet(I don't think the AI controller does that)
3.) It also won't be long before Neptunes sends out an update and the VDM can control all 3 channels but this doesn't matter for me because I'm getting the while sol and not the blue one (I know I'm the exception on here but I don't like my tank too blue so I'll stick with the brighter white one)

I am getting 3 modules but I'm starting with getting just 1 to test it out before I spend all the money.

Thanks everyone for your help.

jlylec
02/13/2011, 02:21 PM
Well that's great if I can use an Apex and don't have to buy the AI controller at all. So I should just buy what I need from Neptune in pieces. Does anyone have a list of what pieces I should buy since I'll have the Apex and Sols? I guess it's:

1. 4 light units
2. some sort of cords to connect them to each other and cords to connect them to the Apex
3. a power cord for each unit?
4. the rails to attach them to
5. hanging kit

swoods140
02/13/2011, 03:07 PM
The reason I'm considering controlling these units outside of the Apex is the amount of time I'm away from home. In the event of an Apex failure I'll at least know my return pump will still function and the lighting cycle will not be affected, not to mention the additional $40-$50 to control through the Apex. When you spend this much money all things must be considered.

jlylec
02/14/2011, 02:50 PM
The reason I'm considering controlling these units outside of the Apex is the amount of time I'm away from home. In the event of an Apex failure I'll at least know my return pump will still function and the lighting cycle will not be affected, not to mention the additional $40-$50 to control through the Apex. When you spend this much money all things must be considered.
This may be a REAL dumb question, but it is possible to use both? That way if one failed the other would still work? I haven't heard or read about Apex failures, but it's smart to plan for every possibility. I'm guessing if one failed it would power off the other and make it worthless?

bradjc
02/14/2011, 03:00 PM
I personally would want mine to fail in the off state. I don't think you can use both but maybe someone else would know.

kenargo
02/14/2011, 05:26 PM
You won't be able to use them both as there is 1 control stream into the AI.

But personally, I wouldn't want them to fail on (unless your tank can handle 100% brightness of the LEDs). Short periods of lights out is more easy to recover than bleaching corals (IMO)

swoods140
02/14/2011, 06:29 PM
Good point Ken...never thought about it from that end!

tmgrash
04/04/2011, 10:17 AM
Is the cable that comes withe the ai and connects the lights to the ai controller the same cable that you need to connect the ai to an apex vdm?

coralreefhq
04/04/2011, 01:27 PM
The cable can be any 3.5mm audio/aux cable.

I bought one from a local Electronics store for 2 bucks, 3 feet each.
I'm running 4 units.

JAGreef
04/07/2011, 02:24 PM
I believe we are talking about two different cables? The 3.5mm, coralreefhq is mentioning, is to connect each AI unit to each other.

I think tmgrash was referring to the 3.5mm (AI) to serial (Apex) cable so the VDM can control the LEDs?

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=78&category_id=17&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

:spin2:

jmchzn123
04/07/2011, 10:10 PM

Thank you
Yes patience.

tmgrash
04/08/2011, 08:31 AM
I believe we are talking about two different cables? The 3.5mm, coralreefhq is mentioning, is to connect each AI unit to each other.

I think tmgrash was referring to the 3.5mm (AI) to serial (Apex) cable so the VDM can control the LEDs?

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=78&category_id=17&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

:spin2:

That was my question, thanks