PDA

View Full Version : Pumping Xenia Help

MaineReef22
02/13/2011, 08:17 AM
Ok so I've had types of Xenia in the past but never pumping xenia. My Xenia species in the past have all eventually melted away for no reason when my parameters were fine. I know this is typical of the species but is there a way to prevent this from happening to my new Xenia?

SAYD
02/13/2011, 08:25 AM
I have found that the only way my xenia pulsates is when my ph is kept at or above 8.2

MaineReef22
02/13/2011, 12:46 PM
I have found that the only way my xenia pulsates is when my ph is kept at or above 8.2

That doesnt answer my question at all

RenoR1
02/13/2011, 01:38 PM
Then there is something not fine about your system. They are a weed and thrive in a good system, so that tells me something is out of wack. Research what pulsing xenias need to be happy, then make sure your system has those.

agold11520
02/13/2011, 02:37 PM
Xenia was one of the first softies I placed in my new reef. I got it from a friend who's tank was literally covered with it. The first time I took it home they pumped weakly for a few days, then melted away. After four months I tried again and they melted away. When I year had passed, he gave me a few xenia he scraped off his glass and they attached themselves and have become a plague in my tank! All routinely measured parameters were within normal limits. Seems my tank could handle Xenia at the same time that it could support SPS corals. Reefs have to age ( mature) properly before harder corals will survive. Never can tell tho!

username in use
02/13/2011, 03:13 PM
Xenia is one of those corals that remains somewhat of a mystery. Some people claim it is an elevated level of phosphates that help them thrive, and a lot of people claim slightly "dirty" water is the key. I know I was able to keep them quite happy until my tank matured around the 1 year mark and they melted away.

bluetang66
02/13/2011, 04:04 PM
for what it's worth mine melted also after a year or so, i use brs 2 part and check levels once a month. i may give it some time and try again with them. tagging along if anybody has any ideas.

Palting
02/13/2011, 06:02 PM
As stated above, xenia's are a mystery. It was one of my first additions, with a young "immature" tank, and it grows like crazy and I have to keep literally beating/cutting it back on it's rock island. I know someone with a 3 y.o tank, though, and the only thing he cannot seem to keep are xenias! Like yours, they just melt away.

If it helps you any, I have my thriving Xenia on a rock island placed in the lowest flow lowest light without shading area of my tank. If you've tried that, then maybe it's just one of theose "mysteries" where you can not keep Xenias. In my tank, it's GSP that I cannot seem to make grow!

muttley000
02/13/2011, 06:48 PM
I have some xenia in a 75 gallon stock tank in my basement. Not sure how to kill it, it even survived on some rock that was out of water for an hour 2 weeks ago. I have also read that it doesn't like a real clean system. I have thought about trying it in a sump similar to a algae scrubber, however it seems I never will have enough systems to try all of the experiments I dream about!

tmz
02/14/2011, 12:26 AM
IME, they are sensitive to lower range sg. Many species come from the red sea where sg is higher. 1.026 keeps mine happy. Mine thrive in low nutrient water but grow more in water with moderate organics PO4 and NO3.