PDA

View Full Version : Q: Powerhead placement

Dono
02/13/2011, 12:13 PM
Here's my tank! It's been up about one month give or take a few days. I'm running two 1400gph koralia PH's and I have a Mag 7 on my return. So plenty of flow. For the exception of the several rocks sitting in the center everything is in the same place.

My problem right now is placement of the powerheads to get the best surface break and tank flow without trowing my sand everywhere (which is what has happened in my last few positions). The biggest obstacle is the rock face in front of my overflow which limits my angles with the powerhead. My goal is to not limit flow to that corner without having to move that rock.

suggestions?

http://i54.*******.com/240yzgx.jpg

Also, a lot of my sand disturbing is happening in the bottom left corner when the powerhead is palced neat the overflow on the back wall, and when I place the left powerhead on the left wall and the two currents cross and create a vortex in the center. I'm also unsure to the direction of my return.

Thanks
-Ed

Edit: picture is several weeks old, but all things considered it's adequate.

duncantse
02/13/2011, 12:17 PM
Just a suggestion, place both powerheads on the side of glass and aim it at each other. This will create random flow.

Dono
02/13/2011, 12:25 PM
Just a suggestion, place both powerheads on the side of glass and aim it at each other. This will create random flow.

should they be level with each other? I worry about creating that cortex by doing this since there is only 4' between the sides

duncantse
02/13/2011, 12:38 PM
range should be top-middle section

bigdoug
02/13/2011, 12:42 PM
Also try placing both next to each other on the back glass toward the top, the angle slightly down and a little to each side, this will utilize your front glass and cover all areas.

davocean
02/13/2011, 01:47 PM
I would raise the one on my left a couple inches, and the one on my right place about same location on back of tank, and bounce both off the front glass panel.
That lockline return seems low to me as well, have you tested for power failure?
Raising it would give an earlier siphon break.

Dono
02/13/2011, 02:26 PM
I would raise the one on my left a couple inches, and the one on my right place about same location on back of tank, and bounce both off the front glass panel.
That lockline return seems low to me as well, have you tested for power failure?
Raising it would give an earlier siphon break.

I should have clarified in the OP about my return as well. Since this is an old picture I've since moved my return pump to a more suitable height. As well as drilling a small hole on the under side of the PVC before the lockline to break the siphon.

If I were to do as you recommended I would have two questions.

-Where to direct my return?

-The Right PH, would it be placed on the far right back wall, or next to the overflow?

Dono
02/13/2011, 02:57 PM
Okay, so here's an update.

I moved the left powerhead to the left glass wall (on the upper right hand corner of the left glass panel, 2-3" from the surface) and the right powerhead attached to the right wall of the overflow with the return pump pushing on the surface in the same direction.

the right powerhead is 2" down on the overflow angled slightly up.

davocean
02/13/2011, 05:19 PM
I usually like my PH's at each top corner on the back glass panel, and pointed towards the center bouncing off the front glass panel.
The return lock I would aim to hit dead spots behind the rocks.
I would maybe even change that to a dual lock, they have a clip on splitter, then you can aim a wider pattern behind rocks.
I don't trust siphon break holes, they usually clog, but the combo of that and keeping high up is fine.