PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI water is reading 003

ms0099rg
02/13/2011, 04:31 PM
RO/DI water is reading 003. I got this as a used system. What filters should I change out first?

Sorry for the lame questions new to reefing.

Thanks

fishox
02/13/2011, 04:38 PM
the first thing you should change is the DI resin. That gets used up the fastest. The membrane, carbon and sediment filters will last much longer than the DI resin. Check BRS for a video addressing your questions.

detroit_fan
02/13/2011, 06:15 PM
RO/DI water is reading 003. I got this as a used system. What filters should I change out first?

Sorry for the lame questions new to reefing.

Thanks
Prefilters and carbon(the ones before the ro membrane) need to be changed about every 6 months. The ro membrane typically lasts a few years.

Best thing to do is use a handheld tds meter and test the water coming out of the ro membrane. Then test the water coming out of the di stage. if you have a really high tds coming out of the ro membrane it may need to be replaced, if it is low then you should be able to just replace di resin (and prefilters if it's due.) HTH

das75
02/13/2011, 06:16 PM
how's the cal on the TDS meter?

davocean
02/13/2011, 07:34 PM
Typically that reading is when we change our DI resin as mentioned.
When it burns DI faster than normal/usual,(easier to sense that starting off w/ new filters than used) I but a new cartridge package, and that is usually about 6 mo.
The membrane should last quite a bit longer, but all these will differ from one unit to another or depending on your alk or TDS.

davocean
02/13/2011, 07:35 PM
Typically that reading is when we change our DI resin as mentioned.
When it burns DI faster than normal/usual,(easier to sense that starting off w/ new filters than used) I but a new cartridge package, and that is usually about 6 mo.
The membrane should last quite a bit longer, but all these will differ from one unit to another or depending on your alk or TDS.

hardin4019
02/13/2011, 09:30 PM
Have a read, lots of good info you should know when you have a RO/DI.
http://buckeyefieldsupply.com/FAQ.asp#FAQ4