PDA

View Full Version : I'd post, but...

IPT
02/14/2011, 01:13 AM
but, I have no tripod! Well, not a total truth, I have some small ones but they are not gonna hold a 300F2.8! Ugh, go figure, I kick out the $$ for a XL Gitzo and it is back in for it's second repair. Frigging legs keep busting free at the base.

Uuuhg, well, just venting. Had some nice fresh snow, nice light, and lots of critters fluttering around today. Started going for my lens and remembered I have no solid legs to put it on! Yesterday it was -3F and we had some pretty wild frost patterns on the glass. Alas it was too high up for my small tripod to reach. Total sadness.

Well, thanks for listening :). Not sure how much I owe for this session, but it made me feel better ;).

Recty
02/14/2011, 10:50 AM
Better let me borrow that 300mm while your tripod is gone I guess, that way you dont have to lament not having a tripod to hold your lens. With the lens gone, you could use one of your cheaper, less sturdy tripods.

BlueCorn
02/14/2011, 10:55 AM
What a drag. I've got a buddy who's had that happen a couple of times. I'm actually surprised that mine hasn't. When I'm out in the field, my tripod is always fully extended and over my shoulder, with the camera mounted. I've done that for years and never had a problem.

IPT
02/14/2011, 12:32 PM
Better let me borrow that 300mm while your tripod is gone I guess, that way you dont have to lament not having a tripod to hold your lens. With the lens gone, you could use one of your cheaper, less sturdy tripods.

Grant - I'll let you savor that fantasy for while as I ponder the idea :).

Doug - yeah, for those kind of bucks it is not what I expected. It's really only on a rare occasion I'll sling it over my shoulder. I think it comes from the twisting required to loosen or secure the legs. Who knows.... when I sent it back this time I requested that it be replaced with a new one. We'll see what happens.

xtm
02/14/2011, 03:29 PM
hmmm how ironic. I just received my first Gitzo this morning (1541T) It's a nice set of legs, very nice craftsmanship but so far I don't feel overly confident. When folding the legs, it feels like I can break it easily. My Manfrotto 190 legs felt much, much sturdier. Not sure if I should return this and go for the 2 series instead. Advice?

IPT
02/14/2011, 05:52 PM
I'm not as familair with the series stuff as Doug probably is. I upgraded from a Manfrotto and it also felt somewhat sturdier than the Gitzo. However, it also weighed a ton! Overall I am quite happy with the Gitzo, especially everytime I pick it up (that Carbon fiber is pretty light!). This particular issue is the glue or cement they use to secure the top of the main leg into the base you mount the Ballhead onto. Honestly I never felt the Gitzo lacked in support or felt flimsy. My smaller version (can't remember the model #) has been fine. Every now and then I need to tweak the bolts at the top to adjust the tension of how easy the legs fold in or out but that has been it.

What type of gear are you going to be putting onto of it? Mine is a pearch for a 1Ds, BH-55 and often a 300mm F2.8 lens so there is some heft up there. I've used my smaller one with the same body, a 300F4, and a BH-45 (or whatever their mid sized ballhead is). It was a fairly stable platform too, just not as rock solid as the Large one. If I didn't have the 300F2.8 and I didn't need/want the height (I am 6'3 and was sick of bending over to my tripod) I am sure I could have gone with a smaller version and been fine. Especially for Landscapes.