PDA

View Full Version : Can you have ULN and keep Chaeto?

edsreef
02/14/2011, 08:40 AM
I'm gradually working my way toward ultra low nutrients. Right now I'm working off of visual indicators while I wait to get the proper low range test kits/checkers. I've been keeping an eye on the chaeto in fuge and so far it really hasn't been growing much. I like the chaeto for the life it harbors. Will I be able to keep it in a true ULN system or will it eventually begin to melt down and deteriorate?

HighlandReefer
02/14/2011, 08:47 AM
IME, once you lower your nitrate to an undetectable level, the Cheato will slow down in growth. If you lower nitrate low enough it will die off. Dosing iron may help some, if you don't have algae or cyano pest problems, which the iron can spur their growth as well.

HighlandReefer
02/14/2011, 08:52 AM
FWIW, if you allow some detectable nitrate, say below 5 ppm, the Cheato should thrive. Nitrate at 5 ppm does not seem to be a problem for most coral, again as long as you don't have algae pest problems.

When one decides to keep macroalgae, there is some trade off when trying to keep say a sps tank, since most macroalgae thrive at higher nitrate levels. ;)