PDA

View Full Version : Considering Biopellets

victornator333
02/14/2011, 09:26 AM
I have an sps dominated tank, linked up with a sump and frag tank. Using tropic marin salt and dosing kalk via ATO. I get good colors and decent growth in my sps, however I still get a lot of algae on the glass. Would biopellets be a good way to get rid of the algae? Or maybe carbon and a phosphate remover? macros? any help would be appreciated

Thanks

joker295
02/14/2011, 10:23 AM
if you go biopellets start off slow if not you will have a disaster in your tank... what your parameters at? and how is your setup?

Logzor
02/14/2011, 10:25 AM
I would take the most reasonable approaches rather than investing in the latest fad of aquarium technology. If said approaches are not working, then maybe biopellets are a viable option.

You could:

1) Increase water changes
2) Reduce Feeding
3) Skim more wet
4) Change bulbs (if they are old)
5) Reduce light cycle, depending
6) Grow chaeto (if you're not already)
7) Run carbon and 1/2 to 1/4 recommend GFO

victornator333
02/14/2011, 10:45 AM
had my water tested at LFS and everything came back ok except phosphates, which were a little high. System is slightly over a year old with loads of rock and sand. Lights are LEDs, but algae grows in frag tank as well, which is lit by T5s. For some reason, chaeto doesnt survive in my sump....which indicates that there arent enough nutrients??? This hobby is very confusing lol.

joker295
02/14/2011, 10:49 AM
if your phosphate is the only thing that is high i would just add a phosphate reactor and run carbon.. imo

victornator333
02/14/2011, 11:13 AM
this may be a dumb question, but can you run carbon and phosphate in the same reactor?

MammothReefer
02/14/2011, 12:17 PM
this may be a dumb question, but can you run carbon and phosphate in the same reactor?

You can get a dual chamber reactor, check out bulk reef supply

Brian Chong
02/14/2011, 01:13 PM
I like logzor's advice. i heard from other peoples experiences that live rock may leach phosphates for very long periods of time and the algae may be more aggressive and it may be outcompeting the chaeto for nutrients. following logzors advice for a reasonable amount of time will eventually solve your algae problems without the use of any reactors.

t4zalews
02/15/2011, 03:02 PM
I used BRS biopellets and it stripped my tank and I had STN on a lot of my SPS. I also didnt increase feeding though.

Brian Chong
02/15/2011, 03:37 PM
I used BRS biopellets and it stripped my tank and I had STN on a lot of my SPS. I also didnt increase feeding though.

I hear that often and from 2 local reefers in my area. one of them said it's almost impossible to control how much they take out or something like that. wasnt really following since i dont consider bio pellets to be an option for me.
even if it does its job well the hassle of upkeep in the long term is not worth it for ME, but i understand and have had my fair share of frustrations with cyano and algae in the past. Just better ways to do it imo

saltyh20
02/15/2011, 03:37 PM
if its a phos problem just add carbon and gfo, is the simplest solution. adding pellets creates the potential for bigger problems. You would have to change the way you do everything ie. feeding, and husbandry. a lot can go wrong with pellets in an sps dominated tank. if your comfortable with the way you are doing things and you just want to get rid of phos. just add gfo and carbon. not as risky. imo
i had to learn this the hard way.:rollface:

wrestle1952
02/20/2011, 11:07 AM
I put Vertex biopellets in a canister filter with Chemi-pure. My tank has never looked better. No nitrates or phosphates to speak of and color on my sps has certainly perked up. If you take the biopellet plunge follow directions to the "T" and use Mb7 to seed the bacteria.

allsps40
02/20/2011, 11:16 AM
I normally do. Never had any problems.

JasonD
02/20/2011, 11:33 AM
I have wm pellets happy with my Sps. My lps don't look as good.

Jason