PDA

View Full Version : BRS or Marco Rock ?

AugustWest
02/14/2011, 12:06 PM
I'm ready to get some rock for my new tank, Anybody use both and prefer one over the other?

dublo8
02/14/2011, 12:51 PM
I like the BRS eco dry rock. It seems to be a little more porous than the marco rock but I could be wrong. You can see the rocks in my build thread here. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965306

jacksonpt
02/14/2011, 12:53 PM
From the little bit of experience I have with both...
Marco rocks are better shaped, BRS eco rock is more porous. If you need enough rock to break it up, I'd probably go with a 1/4 BRS and 3/4 marco.

chimmike
02/14/2011, 12:53 PM
the BRS Pukani is awesome rock. Lightweight so you get more rock per pound, very porous, very cool looking.

gonefishn
02/14/2011, 12:55 PM
BRS!! Just finished letting mine cure in RO water an put in the tank, levels did not change to much. Looks great and you can ask for any specific size or shape, which I did and got exactly what I asked for!

jong11
02/14/2011, 02:34 PM
Haven't used BRS's rock, but I have macrorocks and I have no complaints.

halcyonism
02/14/2011, 03:04 PM
If you can get in on a group buy (check the BRS sponsor forum) you cannot beat the price on their Eco Rox.

olemiss reb
02/14/2011, 03:13 PM
I added some BRS pukani and I wish I had used it from the start. Very porous and lightweight= you get a whole lot of rock per pound. The only negative was that it was loaded with dead stars and crabs. I rinsed it and added it straight to a couple of existing tanks. Skimmer went into overdrive, could probably nuke a small tank. I have heard nothing but good things about Marco and would not hesitate to order from them.

isawill
02/14/2011, 03:40 PM
I have 100lbs of BRS Ecorox in my tank and I was very pleasantly surprised with both the sahpe and sizes of what I got. It's only been in my tank 3 months and most of the rocks are getting good coralline coverage from the 30lbs of live rock I put on top

ReeferBill
02/14/2011, 04:05 PM
Hi AugustWest ; If you take a look at Ocean Pro Aquatics you wiill not be sorry. Happy Rock Hunting!:wavehand:

AugustWest
02/14/2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I can't go wrong either way..... Just ordered a 70G (30'x30"x18" ) from the LFS today.

May go with some from each place. Decisions,decisions, Thanks again!

dublo8
02/14/2011, 04:19 PM
Look at the link to my build thread again. I promise you the shapes are amazing. It's like playing with lego's. And definetly get in on a group buy if you can.

AugustWest
02/14/2011, 04:32 PM
Look at the link to my build thread again. I promise you the shapes are amazing. It's like playing with lego's. And definetly get in on a group buy if you can.

Wow, that is some awesome rock. Nice job on the aquascaping. Did you use any epoxy or acrylic rods or just stack that ?

aleonn
02/14/2011, 06:51 PM
You can't go wrong with either, as both are reputable companies. I went with BRS Fiji dry rocks. Pukani rock looks great and I wish I got more from the start.

dublo8
02/15/2011, 10:46 AM
Wow, that is some awesome rock. Nice job on the aquascaping. Did you use any epoxy or acrylic rods or just stack that ?

I cheated a little and bought rock from BRS but I bought a product from marco rocks called emarco. It's a cement mix that is SW safe to put the rocks together. I cured them for about 2 months in my garage with powerheads and a heater after they were put together. Every time I did a water change on my display I would use the old water to change the water in the curring bins.

Some of the rocks in picture were just placed in there to keep them submerged. All of the rocks are on a "pedestal" so to speak. They all also angle down towards the front glass, for the stadium style scape intentionally so I can place my fast growing sps in the back up high and the slower growers up front, that way everybody has a good view. The rock on the far left is my favorite but there is a rock in front of it that doesn't show the pedestal.

bamf25
04/27/2011, 07:55 PM
Do not discount reefcleaners, it is very similar to BRS and Macro Rocks and a little cheeper. To be honest, I think they all get it from the same mining location.

OregonReefer
04/27/2011, 08:30 PM
the brs pukani is awesome rock. Lightweight so you get more rock per pound, very porous, very cool looking.

+5

JG1
04/27/2011, 08:31 PM
I love the dry fiji from BRS