PDA

View Full Version : Kole Tang troubles

wedwards
02/14/2011, 05:14 PM
My new Kole tang won't eat the algae sheet that I put in for him/her and won't eat the pellets or the frozen food that I put in. What should I do???

Eric the half-bee
02/14/2011, 05:36 PM
A.Calm down. B. Give us tank details-size, age of tank, other inhabitants, size of the Kole, was he eating at the fish store, how long had they had him in stock, and tank chemistry. This would help to start.

wedwards
02/14/2011, 05:48 PM
It's a 55 gallon (I know, I know) about six months old, about two and a half inches, I took him home right when they got him in since I special ordered him (they won't let people keep them their to ensure health and that they are eating) and my levels:

trates: ~5ppm
trites: 0
Amm: 0
pH: 8.1

these are the only test kits I have at the moment

He seems to be doing fine, he is swimming, looks healthy (to my untrained eye) and is grazing on the LR, he may just be getting enough food from the LR but I doubt it. I've only had him for about four days so I'm not super concerned but I just thought that I would check in with you guys before I got two weeks into it and he still wasn't eating.

Thanks for all the help!

nicfo25
02/14/2011, 05:52 PM
My Kole tang never eats off the algae clip. He grazes the live rock all day and eats brine shrimp and PE Mysis. Just give him some time. Sometimes better to get a fish eating in a solitary tank ( QT tank) Good luck and a awesome fish!

Eric the half-bee
02/14/2011, 06:06 PM
Koles are definitely rock scrubbers and he may be still adjusting. What are the other tank inhabitants? Is anybody bugging him?

RcToners
02/14/2011, 06:14 PM
My Kole took awhile to eat off of the clip. Its a good sign that yours is grazing. My wrasse actually had to show her how to do it and now shes an animal. Nothing beats her response to live brine shrimp though, she LOVES them and goes crazy over that snack.