PDA

View Full Version : metal halide diy

slappyjaw
02/14/2011, 08:37 PM
Hey everybody, so recently i found these metal halide fixtures that belonged in a gymnasium. I have three of them and plan on using two for the tank. My question is can i change the mogul socket on the lamps to fit a smaller linear bulb, i fits a rather large bulb right now and its a little bulky but it works great. Thanks for any help!

- Greg

snulma1
02/14/2011, 08:43 PM
Yes, you can remove the mogul sockets and wire in double ended sockets. But I don't believe the original reflectors will be suitable to the new sockets

RokleM
02/15/2011, 11:21 AM
Most of the time it's not worth it nor are they at all similar to the reflectors we use in the hobby. 9 times out of 10 going cheap in lighting means you'll regret it and replace soon...

slappyjaw
02/15/2011, 03:28 PM
I definitely know what you mean. But i intend on mainly just using the ballasts and getting new parts for them. they are supposedly pretty new but have been used, the guy gave me some extra parts though, so i guess ill see how it goes.

RokleM
02/16/2011, 12:06 PM
Personally, I'd want to know what the ballasts are before recommending anything else. See if you can find any identification, model, specifications, etc on them.

chimmike
02/16/2011, 12:35 PM
Personally, I'd want to know what the ballasts are before recommending anything else. See if you can find any identification, model, specifications, etc on them.

I agree with this. What wattage? what style?