PDA

View Full Version : North Atlantic water?

Megatrev62
02/15/2011, 02:04 AM
I live on an Island in the north atlantic(Newfoundland) and the water here is frigid even in the summer let alone the winter. I was wondering if the water here would be suitable for use and is it just a matter of warming it up? Would there be organism die off that would occur that would be in anyway detrimental?

If there is a way to utilize this what would the procedure be? Would save a ton on salt. The waters here are not polluted like more southern shores as well. We have a research facility ( northern fish species,seals,et.) called the Marine Lab and they filter water from the ocean and we could go there and fill ours buckets no problem. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

billdogg
02/15/2011, 08:04 AM
I think you could get away with it, but pretty much everything in it will die off as it warms to tropical temps. I would get a bucket full of the filtered water, bring it up to temp with a heater and powerhead, and maybe drop in a small chunk of liverock. Test the water reat source of water!several times over the next week or 2 to see what happens. If all goes well, it would look like you've got a good source of water!

Or... a cold water tank would be very cool (pardon the pun?)

Cuervo
02/15/2011, 08:21 AM
I'd get a bucket or two from the Marine Lab and ask them while you're there. If anyone knows a definite answer as to what might be in the water and any possible adverse affects, it would be them.

Seems to me that you should be safe though.

Fishdisease
02/15/2011, 10:53 AM
I'm in Halifax and I have used, and have friends that only use water from the ocean. I get my water from Dalhousie and it's filtered too, well, it's put through a sand filter to remove the large particles. I haven't had a problem with nutrient spikes (from die-off), pest-species or any adverse affects at all. I think that tanks using nsw are better then asw for the obvious reasons, yada yada yada water chemistry. You're lucky, most ppl would love to have access to filtered nsw. Good luck.

phillyblunt
02/15/2011, 11:08 AM
What's the water temp average over there?

thomb
02/15/2011, 11:36 AM
I've used the water down here in New Hampshire for over a year now. The salinity is a bit low and of course it needs to be heated:) I am by no means an advanced reefer but I haven't had any issues.

thomb
02/15/2011, 11:40 AM
Sorry for the double post

Megatrev62
02/15/2011, 05:21 PM
Sounds like should give it a go. Warm it up and carbon filter could work I figure.

Megatrev62
02/15/2011, 05:24 PM
What's the water temp average over there?

It's damn cold. Not sure really but never much above freezing. If you went in the water here in mid August( our best weather usually) you would jump in and jump out. "Enough to skin ya." Icebergs don't help lol.

phillyblunt
02/15/2011, 07:40 PM
That sounds cold. Guess were spoiled in San Diego. Let us know how it goes

Megatrev62
02/15/2011, 07:45 PM
Won't be tomorrow, but will certainly let you know how it goes.

Agu
02/15/2011, 08:27 PM
The only risk I can see is die off of organisms in the water as it's warmed creating an ammonia spike. Filtration should remove most of that potential problem.

IMHO warm it to reef temp for a couple of days and test for ammonia/nitrite.If the tests come up zero you're good to go. If not additional filtration of the water to remove organisms is probably called for.

Megatrev62
02/15/2011, 08:29 PM
Just wondering if boiling it would be a route to take?

T Diddy
02/15/2011, 08:42 PM
Just wondering if boiling it would be a route to take?

don't bother. Bringing cold seawater up to tropical temps may kill off some of the microfauna, but a lot will survive. Boiling it will kill everything...then you'll have natural seawater full of dead organics.

Megatrev62
02/15/2011, 09:25 PM
Makes sense Thanks