PDA

View Full Version : how long do you keep powerheads off?

acsamples79
02/15/2011, 02:52 PM
im introducing my new H.Malu i bought from live aquaria last week and ive heard when you first put them in your supposed to keep the powerheads off,but how long do i keep them off for?

thanks

SkullV
02/15/2011, 04:40 PM
I would only keep them off long enough for tge nem to reach the bottom and stop floating. If you don't hqve the real flow of your tank going they will not be able to judge the flow in their future permanent spot.

this is me
02/15/2011, 04:46 PM
I turn down my flow when I put the nem in the tank. After it settle down and attached to something, I turn it right back up.

acsamples79
02/15/2011, 05:04 PM
okay, well i had em off, turned em back on like 10 minutes later and it took off floating around the tank, being blown all over, so i didnt know for sure

kduen
02/15/2011, 05:13 PM
When I introduced my Haddoni (different I know but still sand dwelling) I dug a hole in the sand as clse to the bottom as I could get next to a rock and stuck it in the hole. Waited about a good half hour or so turned on my controllable koralias to the lowest setting and then slowly turned the flow up to normal over the course of about 4 hours. It has only moved about 2-3 inches to the right of where I inatially placed it and that was about three months ago.

acsamples79
02/15/2011, 05:19 PM
so does the foot need to be stuck to the glass on the bottom? is that the only way itll hold, because mine is tumbling everywhere. scares me

acsamples79
02/15/2011, 07:39 PM
okay so i dug a hole in the sand, to the glass.. left it for an hour and it hasnt attached, i cant turn on my powerheads because when i do (no matter how i change direction) the flow just throws the nem like a rag doll, and it tumbles until it gets stopped by a rock or something, but its always face down so i have to move it again... im really wondering what the deal is, i cant keep m y powerheads off much longer

this is me
02/15/2011, 07:50 PM
It's either your power head is way too strong for your tank or the anemone just isn't not healthy enough to attach itself to anything.

acsamples79
02/15/2011, 07:55 PM
thats not at all what i wanted to hear... he seems to be in such good shape..

kale98
02/16/2011, 12:32 AM
I got a tank about a month ago. Bought a full set up. When I moved it it took 3 weeks fro the Capet to find his spot. He would just roll around and I thought he would die or was not healthy. He would put his foot down on the glass and i would be happy. next day he would be rolling around again. Now he has been in same spot for a week and seems happy and eating when I feed him.

You may just need to give him time. I tried digging a spot for him but he didn't like it. Just had to let him pick where he wanted to go.

acsamples79
02/16/2011, 12:46 AM
well there is a bit of good news, i dug like 8 different holes in a few hours and finally put him in one that hes grabbed ahold of and stayed there (with all powerheads on) so atleast i know he will do it, just a matter of him finding the perfect spot.. thanks for all the help. ill try to post pics tomorrow, its a beautiful nem