PDA

View Full Version : nano mantis tank???

klink67
02/15/2011, 08:47 PM
I have a mr.aqua 7.5 cube that I am setting up and was wondering what species the mantis in this video is and were I could buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huU96KA4Vas

It looks like g. viridis but it might be something else. Are they easier to train to eat frozen food than lionfish are? I was able to train my lionfish but it took like a month.

Also the tank will have high lighting so it needs to be compatible.

Adetia
02/15/2011, 09:25 PM
The tags on they video say Pseudosquilla Ciliata: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=p_ciliata

klink67
02/15/2011, 09:29 PM
Alright now I am trying to decide between g. viridis and p. ciliata I can easily buy g. viridis online but I dont know were to get ciliata. Is there an online site that specializes in mantis shrimp?

klink67
02/15/2011, 09:41 PM
Also going to have a lot of coral in the tank. If I can find ciliata I will buy it but if not I will just get a viridis. Any other spearer species that are common?

Koshmar
02/15/2011, 10:46 PM
Is there an online site that specializes in mantis shrimp?

Sigh.....There was.... ;_;

Try Gozermantis. Also P. ciliata do well in a tank with a large footprint. IMO I would get a 20 L and find a P. ciliata because I think they're amazing. Just sayin...

klink67
02/15/2011, 11:46 PM
My pm isn't working. Ciliatus are only 3 in long. Also which is easier to get on frozen food viridis or ciliatus?

nirvanaandtool
02/16/2011, 06:52 AM
I have a G. Viridis in a 6g tank - but I am setting up the same 7.5g cube you are using for him.
He was very easy to get onto frozen food. Starved him for like 3 days, put thawed piece of shrimp on a skewer and he readily came out for it. Now he will even come out of the burrow completely to get pieces of krill that float by.

I'll make a build thread for it in the next week or so. Finishing up a DIY stand right now.