PDA

View Full Version : My secondary DT will not work, help me choose a nano DT [details inside!]

Tropix
02/16/2011, 03:07 AM
I am in the middle of doing so much work, multiple projects so if you can please:eek1:help me, would be great. I have many questions but right now ill ask one.

to add: what multiple projects.

DT . Acrylic 60.gal
Sump . Acrylic 60.gal
DT . 9.gal ADA glass rimless

Currently on the check list:

New custom stand 98% finished
canopy for 60DT 100% finished
60gal sump, 0%. will be starting once stand is done. in design phase
nano tank ??? zero % might need to order another nano to complete

If anyone doesn't know this, a 60gal aquarium stand holds a 60gal aquarium obviously but does not hold a 60gal inside the stand, I have looked at LFS in the area for a 60 stand with dimensions to fit a 60gal inside but nothing.

Anyone would like to know the dimensions to hold a 60gal acrylic aquarium, I used 50", 161/4

Basically the reason is money, to make the cut in the plywood a inch or two over 4 feet, throws off the cuts and waste wood, and thus wasted money. so it became a DIY project for me, which now I am about finished and I love it, holds the 60 sump like a glove

Some pictures, pictures of the ADA rimless aquarium which I had visions, plans for this aquarium but unfortunately it may not work out. The picture with all the wavy lines through it is when the 14k HQI halide is on over the aquarium, does this mean the glass is tempered, plus I haven' been able to find anyone yet to even drill it for me, and I already bought the hardware, the bulkheads.

I posted pictures of some of all I am doing and as crazy as it may sound, the 60DT with the 60Sump is all their really for the 10gal nano tank which is going to be plumbed into the 60 sump, and both DT's will share the sump.

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac228/Schreiber805/sws2.jpg

For me a 60DT Reef is just way to big for me for a coral reef, so I am going to just have a few pounds of LR and a couple large fish, refugium in the 60 sump, and my little nano tank will be my SPS reef tank.

As you see in one of the pictures, I will be hanging a PFO 150watt HQI 14k phoenix bulb. I have never been a fan of hanging, always used a canopy for all my applications, since the system was rimless I was going to give it a try, started to grow on me and people may be right, it is the modern look today..

SO if my ADA turns out to be tempered glass and will not work, can you guys give me some ideas please, I will most likely buy acrylic since I am going to drill for the bulk heads. can you buy pre drilled tanks and if I go acrylic, do they have rimless, if it is not rimless then I will be making a canopy for it after all.

So yeah, this long long message about just that, if my ADA is tempered, what are some good quality aquariums based off the information I listed but not very expensive but good, The tank will be sitting next to my 60DT and will overflow into the 60DT overflow line down into the 60gal sump.

Tropix
02/16/2011, 03:16 AM
Is the whole ADA rimless style aquarium with a nice compact halide light fixture hanging tastefully overrated or getting a aquarium like this:

http://c1.f3images.com/IMD/600/AT1113/AT1113_1.jpg

with a canopy over which seems to be my only choice if this ADA can't be drilled. I like having everything planned and right now this is a road block if this will not work out. Most people tell me the ADA is not tempered but what is up with that picture with the wavy lines.

SO please tell me about my choices, I prefer acrylic, doesn't have to be 10gal either, but the light is already bought and picked which is the PFO 150watt HQI halide, remember I am doing a SPS nano, so if other tanks with nice dimensions tell me, but for me, 20gal seems too big for me but under 20 can be doable.

OFF WORLD
02/16/2011, 10:02 PM
I am pretty sure my ADA is tempered glass and having problems finding someone to drill for me. What I said above, about rimless or not, and just doing a canopy nano setup with my halide.

I am needing a nice quality tank, predrilled would be nice, at this point I need to find the new replacement since my ADA :sad2: looks like it may not work out. I have no idea where to look, what quality brand to find, not looking for some 20.00 10.00 tank either. I may just go with the 10gal shown in picture above, seems like my only choice and I am also going to go down to my LFS to talk about a custom arcylic tank.

If I have one custom built, keep in mind I am using the HQI 150watt, I may just do a shallow 10gal or so. I have never done SPS before and I am making this setup a SPS, CLAMS and who knows what else right now. So maybe a shallow, wider tank.

Also, I don't see how I am going to use my 9gal ADA tank, most likely be up for sale or trade for aquarium parts or something, central coast, california, on the beach not the valley!

Tropix
02/17/2011, 08:17 PM
bump for you.

sorry your ADA rimless will not work out, I do not know about the tempered glass, the wavy lines I see but do not know.

for a high quality replacement IDK, but others here know, someone who knows what they are doing, a true hobbyist will help out. only a few are really about it, 300 people viewing, 20 people knows whats up.

Tropix
02/17/2011, 09:54 PM

OFF WORLD
02/18/2011, 01:13 AM
Rc!

Tropix
02/18/2011, 11:03 AM
The Winner of the month

quoting this from his writings:
Each had their own individual need for life support, water
quality monitoring, and all of the other accompaniments required
of a reef system. I therefore designed this current system to
include multiple tanks, as I had in the old apartment, but all
on one system that would require just one set of all equipment
needed to run a reef. Additionally, water changes and water
quality testing would be limited to just one system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

what do you think about the above: above this post... Nooot this post!