PDA

View Full Version : New Midas blenny: attempt #2

PMUnprotected
02/16/2011, 01:13 PM
Okay so I lost my last Midas blenny due to possible ammonia poisoning from inadequate Acclimating.

I kept the QT tank up and running after doing a 90% water change. I fed a few fish flakes here and there to see how the bacteria was doing. Performed water changes yesterday and levels seem good to go.

I matched my salinity to the shippers @ 1.025 and the temps ready too.

I have an aquaclear HOB filter and an aerator.

Can you tell me if I have too much bubbles going on?

My ph is at 8.2

Thanks!

http://184.72.239.143/mu/482a92a7-21be-437e.jpg

patsfan1130
02/16/2011, 01:37 PM
The bubbles are not going to hurt anything. My question would be can you tolerate the noise from the filter?

PMUnprotected
02/16/2011, 01:58 PM
The bubbles are not going to hurt anything. My question would be can you tolerate the noise from the filter?

Good to know! Thanks for the reply!

I can handle the filter noise... It is a lot less noticeable than the DT :-)

trb
02/17/2011, 12:00 AM
Good luck with the new midas blenny. it is one of my favorite fish.

C0rp
02/17/2011, 12:11 AM
midas blenny was my first fish, and will be my favorite forever! my qt looks just like yours, exact same two pieces of pvc...size and shape lol. my blenny never once went in one. he was always on top of the heater dial haha! He was very timid at first too....took awhile to acclimate.

Kweli
02/17/2011, 09:38 AM
You should take out a sponge from your DT and put it into your QT.. One that has been there for more then 2-3 weeks should have enough bacteria on it to sustain a QT for 6 weeks.... Im not sure if you have done this, but if not, that may be the reason your first fish died

My midas is defiantly my favourite fish, and the QT process made him very comfortable with me.... He hid in a corner for 3-4 days and slowly started to come out more....
Now, in my DT, he swims front and center ALL day long... and anytime I come near he will swim close to me and watch "the hand that feeds"

He also dives into my my elegance coral (like a clown to a nem) when he is scared

PMUnprotected
02/17/2011, 10:39 AM
I am stoked! He's been kicking it in a corner too haha! Seems like it's what they do when they're new.

I don't mean to sound weird, but you can see the life in his eyes as if he's saying "once I get comfortable.. You're gonna love me!"

:-)

b85511
02/17/2011, 12:06 PM
Midas Blenny`s are real nice, good luck in the future with them.

Kweli
02/17/2011, 12:47 PM
I am stoked! He's been kicking it in a corner too haha! Seems like it's what they do when they're new.

I don't mean to sound weird, but you can see the life in his eyes as if he's saying "once I get comfortable.. You're gonna love me!"

Yep, even in the fish store.. the owner kept telling me the tank had a midas and i couldnt find it... turned out he was pressed against the bottom corner of the tank (on seam) and damn near blended into the glass

gweston
02/17/2011, 04:23 PM
I have an african midas too.. my favorite fish by far. When I come home he RUNS (in a fish kinda way) right to the front of the tank and flares his fins in excitement. Its hilarious. Sometimes he gets overzealous though and bangs head first into the front glass trying to get to me. The rest of the time he just hangs out in and around his favorite group of barnacle caves and fights off snails that invade his territory.

He's the PIG of the tank.

Your QT looks good. Definitely seed a sponge or something from the display and move it to the quarantine. The Biomax stuff from the Aquaclear also works well. I have a few bags of that stuff in the DT sump at all times. I keep my QT constantly going, so it is always cycled. My 6-line wrasse is currently on 'time out' in my quarantine as he was pestering my poor juvenile clown. Good call on the ammonia badge. I also stick a ball of chaeto into my quarantine tank. If you have an appropriate light over it, it will help out with the nitrates. The chaeto is one-way though. It never goes back to the display/sump. Some fish also like to hide in/under it. I have treated the QT with medicines and left the chaeto in there through it. No problems. Every little bit of potential filtration helps.

Kweli
02/18/2011, 08:41 AM
It also seems like my Midas does not go to the washroom until he starts to eat...

Its literally like his stomach is full, and if something new comes in, something old has to go out

gweston
02/18/2011, 11:07 AM
It also seems like my Midas does not go to the washroom until he starts to eat...

Its literally like his stomach is full, and if something new comes in, something old has to go out

Exactly. Mine does the same. LOL.

C0rp
02/18/2011, 12:02 PM

LMAO my blenny is exactly the same hahaha..

ggrillo
07/23/2011, 07:02 PM
My favorite fish too! Mine spends all day swimming around with my ocellaris pair lol.

papagimp
07/23/2011, 07:21 PM
I am stoked!..... but you can see the life in his eyes as if he's saying "once I get comfortable.. You're gonna love me!"

:thumbsup: This is the reason I love hangin' around the New to the Hobby forum. So excited for you, I've never owned a midas blenny but i've gotten many o' chance to drool over specimens in others tanks. They really are a beautiful fish. Best of luck this time!

btw.. pictures pictures pictures :spin1: