PDA

View Full Version : Do marine fish like Arugula?

Essense
02/16/2011, 05:00 PM
I'm planning out my first build and i'm so full of questions that it's absurd.

I guess I can try minced arugula for the fishies and coral?

What kind of home remedy foods work, in a general way (greens, minced seafood, peanut butter, ect) for feeding time?

T Diddy
02/16/2011, 06:41 PM
arugula...it's a ve-ge-ta-ble!

(from My Blue Heaven)

Agu
02/16/2011, 09:39 PM
If you're feeding herbivorous fish I highly suggest you skip feeding non marine foods. Sushi wrap (aka Nori) can be found at most grocery stores and is made from seaweed.

Other than the Nori, until you have more experience I suggest you use commercially available fish foods.

sslak
02/17/2011, 07:11 AM
^ +1

Fish eat food from the ocean...that's what you should be feeding.

In the same way that many house plants are poisonous to cats, you can not be sure how non-marine foods could possibly harm your fish.

jeff@zina.com
02/17/2011, 11:13 AM
Most herbivores will eat kale, romaine and broccoli without problems. Broccoli is also great for removing snails. They go at it like it's caviar and then you just pull the broccoli out with the snails. :)

Jeff

gweston
02/17/2011, 04:46 PM
One thing about the Nori, make sure it is just Nori. Sometimes Nori can have additives/flavoring in it. In my case, my wife is Japanese and we get periodic packages from her family... Nori is part of that. :) My wife likes to eat it. I like to give it to the fish/inverts. She hasn't yelled at me yet, and I only use a small fraction of it. Unsure if the additives are bad for the tank. Its usually things like soy sauce, sesame, mirin (rice wine vinegar), or the like.

I wonder if fish will eat wakame.. I should try to look that up. Its a seaweed used for flavoring. Often put into boiling water to make a starter broth for various soups and the like.

seapug
02/17/2011, 04:50 PM
Nori is best, but small amounts of terrestrial vegetables like spinach and broccoli are a good supplement for herbivore fish. I believe Arugala contains a lot of oxalic acid, which is a compound in terrestrial vegetables that can cause health problems in fish if used as a long term staple.