PDA

View Full Version : Best herbivore

wbdevers
02/16/2011, 11:55 PM
Hey all. I've got a little nuisance algae in my tank--it's more of a fine covering in some of the LR. What are some suggestions for the best fish to just keep things tidy? Granted, I would love a yellow tang, but we won't go there! :D Are there other suggestions besides a lawnmower blenny? Not my favorite due to their bland appearance. Tank is a 55g mixed with sump. All of the fish I have are small reef safe critters. I've got some Zoa's and a couple of leathers. I've also got one large feather duster and tons of small ones that have popped up on my LR.

Thanks for the suggestions.

davocean
02/17/2011, 12:56 AM
Lawnmowers usually grow on people.
What they lack in color, they make up for in personality, and great little cleaners.
I didn't care much for them either before I got one for a small tank for the very same reason.

jyxie
02/17/2011, 02:32 AM
try sea hare

wbdevers
02/17/2011, 12:30 PM
Going to get me a lawnmower. I don't really care for a snot ball in my tank so the hare is out! LOL!. True about the lawnmowers though about their personalities. I watched them in another tank and at the LFS and they are cool little guys.

Thanks for the advice.

solitude127
02/17/2011, 05:33 PM
Try Turbo Snails if you want an invert. For if you could, a Kole eye Tang are great

wbdevers
02/27/2011, 11:02 PM
Got the lawn-mower blenny--I've named him Chris Farley. This thing is a riot! He cracks me up banging his head against the LR to eat. He also sees his reflection in the glass (I think) and goes nuts swimming back and forth. Not sure if he is flirting or wanting to fight but this fish is hilarious! I really believe this fish lived under high voltage power lines or ate paint chips!!!

Thanks for the recommendation. BTW, he is doing a great job.