PDA

View Full Version : New firmware posted - 2B11

kenargo
02/17/2011, 01:46 AM
I promised to report back so:

I just got information back that reports the firmware on the Neptune site (2B11) is an update.

There are a couple of bug fixes like the dead display issue (remember to update the display firmware) and a web server random crash fix.

RokleM
02/17/2011, 09:55 AM
I hadn't noticed the update. Thanks for the heads up.

DBSAM
02/17/2011, 03:27 PM
What is the rev level for the display?

Mine shows HW 001 and SW 009 (OK).

I still show two displays, one and two. Curt said don't worry about display 2, but I guess this did not fix that.

kenargo
02/17/2011, 04:39 PM
No, this will not remove extra modules, you will still need to delete them yourself and it might not show a rev in the display module version but just update the display firmware just the same to be sure.

DBSAM
02/17/2011, 04:57 PM
I try to delete the second...sometimes it does, but it just comes back...

Is it the same for you?

mixer911
02/17/2011, 06:11 PM
You have to INT the Aquabus to get the second (ghost) Display to go away for good.

DBSAM
02/17/2011, 06:16 PM
What is the procedure to "INT" the aquabus?

mixer911
02/17/2011, 06:27 PM
on the head unit go System --> Init Memory --> Init Aquabus Dev

It will delete your outlet settings so be sure to back them up first.

apjohnson
02/18/2011, 12:31 AM
Anyone else having issues with this firmware release? Suddenly tonight I'm having issues getting to my outlet configurations. It just shows the footer and hangs. This is even immediately after issuing a reboot via telnet. Even if I go into the XML to retrieve the outlet config, it only gives a partial list. I did the upgrade over a hardwired connection and didn't get any errors. This did not happen immediately after the upgrade, but after a few hours. I can get to all the config items except outlets and profiles. Should I try to reload the firmware and webpages?

--AJ

DBSAM
02/18/2011, 05:29 AM
No problems with this release for me.

In the past, when that has happened with Safari, I cleared the cache and that seemed to help.

apjohnson
02/18/2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestion...I cleared cache, same thing. Using Firefox. Tried Firefox on another machine, same thing. Tried IE on that machine and it worked. Then, Firefox started working too. Strange thing. Not sure why it suddenly cleared up. I'll keep posted if this happens again.

--AJ

RokleM
02/18/2011, 12:42 PM
My biggest complain continues to be the lack of intuitiveness on the module firmware update process.

No clue what the latest and greatest is or should be. Sometimes you hit update and the screen continues to refresh updating for 10 seconds forever, sometimes no 10 seconds, sometimes it actually works, sometimes you have to reboot everything (including eb8) before it will upgrade, sometimes not... internet sploder, firefox, safari, all the same. A shot in the dark.

For example, I had to delete the displays, full system reboot, delete displays, full system reboot, then it finally updated. It APPEARS it updated, but I still have 9 on my version as well.

HW Type HW Rev SW Rev Addr Name
Display module 001 009(OK) 002 Disp_1
EB8 module 001 008(OK) 003 EB8_3
PM1 module 001 002(OK) 004 PM1_4
WXM module 001 004(OK) 005 WXM_5

swearint
02/18/2011, 01:37 PM
I don't rely on the update status window for the modules. You are correct, it does not work consistently. I rely on the module list, if it says (OLD) then it needs updating, if (OK) then it is fine. When I do the update, I just wait a minute or so and check the module list afterward to make sure it worked.

Todd

swoods140
02/18/2011, 06:58 PM
Newbie here...
Is it necessary to be hard wired when updating modules or can this be done wireless?(laptop and base)

Thanks!

aquamanic
02/18/2011, 07:42 PM
Once the firmware is updated to the controller, then updating the modules is all internal. You must have a hard wired connection though to update to the controller.

swoods140
02/18/2011, 07:51 PM
I learned the hard way on the wireless! When I updated firmware I hard wired the Apex but left the laptop wireless. It had to send the blocks 10-20 times before complete. I then hard wired the laptop and took about 90 seconds to complete the entire update.

I'm really enjoying this controller and better understanding of how my tank works.
Thanks for all the input!

aquamanic
02/19/2011, 06:20 AM
I still have 9 on my version as well.

Rev 9 is the most current. The fix for the display was to logic in the base module.

RussM
02/19/2011, 06:35 AM
Don't be concerned about module firmware number (9 in this case for the display) itself... all that really matters is the OK or OLD status. Every module's firmware is not necessarily updated with every Apex firmware release.

dad1st
02/19/2011, 11:21 AM
I updated my firmware and my calcium reactor won't turn on or off via my second Ph prob settings.
Any thoughts?

kenargo
02/19/2011, 11:26 AM
I updated my firmware and my calcium reactor won't turn on or off via my second Ph prob settings.
Any thoughts?

Does manual control work? Do other outlets on the same EB8 work correctly?

dad1st
02/19/2011, 11:33 AM
Yes manual control does work.
I moved the regulator to another outlet to see if that was the problem and it didn't change any thing.

dad1st
02/19/2011, 11:37 AM
I don't know whats going on with it i calibrated both of my Ph probes
and i even switched them around to See if that would change any thing.
but sill no change.

kenargo
02/19/2011, 12:23 PM
I don't know whats going on with it i calibrated both of my Ph probes
and i even switched them around to See if that would change any thing.
but sill no change.

Ok, so it manual control is working then then it is something else...

* Is the name of the probe correct in the outlet program (can you post your program)?

* What is the reading of the probe (either from the display or website)?

dad1st
02/19/2011, 12:30 PM
Her is the basie control ken

<name>CO2</name>
<icon>Up/Down Arrows</icon>
<outputID>17</outputID>
<outputType>pH Control</outputType>
<program>Fallback OFF If pH > 06.78 Then ON If pH < 06.50 Then OFF</program>
</outlet>

kenargo
02/19/2011, 12:34 PM
You mentioned this was a second PH probe you are using but the program is using the 1st PH probe? Should this be pH2?

What is the reading of PH?

dad1st
02/19/2011, 12:41 PM
Yes it should be, I must have over looked it.
Thanks ken.
I got Russ on the line and he programed it for me.
Thanks Russ I don't know what i would do if i couldn't get all the great help that you guys give me.

RussM
02/19/2011, 12:43 PM
With his permission, I looked directly at the Apex.

Frank, you had the pH2 probe renamed as 'CO2', and the EB8 outlet for the solenoid named 'CO2' as well.

The system got confused by the duplicated names (it saw what's known in the programming world as a circular reference) , and changed the programming for the CO2 outlet to 'If pH...' (at least that's my theory), so it was controlling the CO2 solenoid based on the values of the regular pH probe, not the one in your CaRx. To resolve this, and for the sake of clarity, I renamed the second pH probe to pH-CO2 and the EB8 outlet to CO2-Solenoid, and adjusted the outlet programming accordingly using Advanced mode instead of the wizard. All looks OK now.

Also, the Probe setup page was missing, and it appeared that the web pages had not been updated after the firmware upgrade; I fixed that too.

Folks... this is a great example of why it is CRITICAL to use custom names for probes and outlets carefully so to not have any duplicates.

dad1st
02/19/2011, 02:13 PM
Thank you for all of your help Russ.
I don't know what i would do if there wasn't a support forum for the apex.
Yes i do. I would pull my hair out.LOL

tmgrash
02/20/2011, 04:23 PM
So, is there a reason to update to this firmware if we havent had any issues?

RussM
02/20/2011, 04:43 PM
There are two ways to look at that question:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

or

"There are good reasons for a new firmware release to have been released."

Take your pick! :D

Seriously... there are some bug fixes in 2B11 - two of which I consider to be significant enough to warrant the upgrade.

gbreynol
02/24/2011, 10:25 AM
The web interface works much better for me after this update. I was also able to delete my second display. I recommend the update.

foundahobby
03/08/2011, 10:55 AM
Still no color for the web pages.
Fixed color for the charts.

mozz
03/09/2011, 08:45 AM
Hi, I decided to update to the 2B11 firmware. The module updated ok, but I get a message "unable to conect to remote server" when I try to update the web page. I tried rebooting both the computer and the apex, but I still get the same error.
Thanks

aquamanic
03/09/2011, 09:54 AM
Check that you have the correct port number and IP address in the loader screen. Do not use the 'apex' host name.

mozz
03/09/2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks aquamanic, port number wrong. Worked.

bvoss
03/09/2011, 03:11 PM
I'd just likevto say I had. Very routine update with the release for the base and all the modules. I'd also like to second the advise from Russ:

"Folks... this is a great example of why it is CRITICAL to use custom names for probes and outlets carefully so to not have any duplicates"..

The only time I have gotten into trouble with my Apex was when I customized probe or module names. If you going to fiddle with those make sure you have the rest of the weekend free.

aquamanic
03/09/2011, 03:29 PM
port number wrong. Worked

Burns a lot of people including myself! Reason is, the firmware part of the update doesn't use the port number at all, only the IP address. So that part works OK as you found, but the pages won't update and you figure - what gives?

watsonj
03/10/2011, 06:03 AM
I can not find the firmware page on there site where do I go to get ti ?

RussM
03/10/2011, 06:06 AM
I can not find the firmware page on there site where do I go to get ti ?

Support->Downloads

TripleT
03/10/2011, 06:14 AM

I just got information back that reports the firmware on the Neptune site (2B11) is an update.

There are a couple of bug fixes like the dead display issue (remember to update the display firmware) and a web server random crash fix.

Can you elaborate on the "dead display issue" please?

TripleT
03/16/2011, 06:33 PM

My display is freezing, and I'm being asked to ship my base module back to Neptune.

When frozen, if I unplug it, and plug it back in, it is lifeless for anywhere from minutes to days. Then it boots up and returns to normal functioning for hours, or days. Then freezes again.

Do you have more info on the dead display issue you mentioned?

Also, this firmware update appears to be from last year, and I updated my firmware a few months ago. So if that update was supposed to fix dead displays, I'm guessing it isn't working for mine. :(

kenargo
03/16/2011, 07:41 PM
2B11 is Feb, 2011.

If Neptune thinks you need to return something they usually have good reason but if you want to try it you can update the firmware in the display and see if that makes any difference; updating module firmware is a separate step from bas firmware; you need to use either the display or webpage (though there is also a Telnet command to update a module if those don't work) but they all to the same thing and the same way.

platax88
03/18/2011, 08:20 AM
I just found that there is a firmware update. I am running 4.03L - 6A10 currently and everything has been smooth other than the dropdowns on the web app acting funky at times, but it's no biggie.

Should I upgrade? I am worried of messing things up but dont want to miss out on any cool features (and hopefully a new web interface)... Can someone let me know what has changed, so i can decide if it's worth the risk?

bvoss
03/18/2011, 08:32 AM
I think you are missing quite a bit with that older version. There is a summary of release notes in the "unofficial user guide" that is a sticky at the top of this forum.

The latest release solves some crash issues so I would suggest it is worth your time to upgrade. FWIW it was a very simple upgrade for me. Remeber not to do an upgrade over a wireless connection.

platax88
03/18/2011, 08:39 AM
I think you are missing quite a bit with that older version. There is a summary of release notes in the "unofficial user guide" that is a sticky at the top of this forum.

The latest release solves some crash issues so I would suggest it is worth your time to upgrade. FWIW it was a very simple upgrade for me. Remeber not to do an upgrade over a wireless connection.

Thanks! No luck on an updated interface? I am a web designer/developer and it saddens me every-time I log on lol.

Hey Curt, why not have me design a sharp interface and front-end user interaction for ya'll :)

djkms
03/18/2011, 10:31 AM
Hi Kenargo,

Any word from Neptune on a update to control the blue/royal blue separately with the AI fixtures? AI stated they released the code to Neptune some time ago and we haven't seen a update yet..

kenargo
03/18/2011, 02:00 PM
I've heard rummor that it is being tested so stay tuned for the next beta (don't ask, I haven't heard a date for the beta).

pyton
03/18/2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks! No luck on an updated interface? I am a web designer/developer and it saddens me every-time I log on lol.

Hey Curt, why not have me design a sharp interface and front-end user interaction for ya'll :)

Why not customize some skins and see if they are interested? I customized my look and feel without removing the programming on the pages.