PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner shrimp breeding

DeepSeaBeauti
02/17/2011, 10:19 AM
My Cleaner shrimp are producing eggs again, and this time i want to try and keep some alive. What do i need to do to keep these little guys alive to grow up like there parents? Does anyone know of any good write-ups on this. What kind of equipment do i need? Thanks in advance.

rssjsb
02/17/2011, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately, assuming that you're talking about a skunk or scarlet cleaner shrimp, I think they have a pelagic (i.e., free swimming in the ocean) stage that can't be duplicated in home aquariums. People have raised peppermint shrimp in captivity, but it's kind of a pain.

Consider it free fish food.

Paul B
02/17/2011, 11:15 AM
That is true, mine spawned for years but they really need to swim around with the plankton for a while. I have never heard of them being raised in captivite. Of course that does not mean it can't be done.

DeepSeaBeauti
02/17/2011, 10:06 PM
Great thanks guys, I guess i will catch a few and see if i can do anything with them. Before i use to leave them for my Camel fish to snatch up. Thought it might be cool to breed them.

SushiGirl
02/17/2011, 10:15 PM
Culturing Shrimp (http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen10.html)

olemiss reb
02/18/2011, 07:13 AM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2004/breeder.htm

pics of equip. needed.

DeepSeaBeauti
02/18/2011, 09:59 AM
These are great reads, with a lot of information. It is definatly a specialize technique to getting these little guys to thrive. Im going to have to do a lot of reading, Im now on a mission to really try and breed these guys. It seams silly not to try. There hatching in my tank, if i cant get one to grow to an adult the worse that happens is they become food for the tank.

pistolpete
02/22/2011, 10:14 PM
I agree it s not easy good luck

sneeyatch
02/24/2011, 07:29 AM
I believe I've seen that day 27 is the day they crash.

You can check out marinebreeder.org for a lot of information on breeding all kinds of ornamental marine fish and inverts.

DeepSeaBeauti
02/24/2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah, same that i have read. They look like they are growing fine, but for whatever reason they just fade away.