PDA

View Full Version : Large reef safe wrasses

haysanatar
02/17/2011, 05:35 PM
I want to add a larger reefsafe wrasse into my 125. I do have lps and sps but I don't have any inverts other than snails and hermit crabs... I just want to get a larger, coral safe, semi passive wrasse... color would be a plus.
I know most larger ones ARE NOT safe with smaller shrimp etc.. but since I don't have any.. that doesn't matter too much.
ideas? I thought about getting a hardwick wrasse... thoughts?

AquaticFins
02/17/2011, 06:06 PM
In my experience, when grown, even small wrasses aren't very safe with small shrimp.

The bigger ones, including the Harkwick's you mentioned, will devour your hermit crabs and snails in short order. Also, they're not usually what I'd consider passive fish.

They generally won't bother corals, so it can be done - but I wouldn't count on keeping your cleanup crew.

jakearoe
02/17/2011, 06:08 PM
Melanurus?

Very active, but I don't know if it would qualify as 'semi passive'. Pretty fish, lots and lots of movement.

SkullV
02/17/2011, 06:21 PM
Pinkface Wrasse (in my avatar) won't touch your corals and is extremely colorful. I have had one for a few weeks now and it has not touched any snails or hermits, but each fish is different.

ReeferBill
02/17/2011, 06:31 PM
Haysanatar ; I had a beautiful Brazilian Wrasse that I gave to my friend because it outgrew my 46 gallon display and it was reef safe.I miss that fish it had a great personality. Check them out and see if you like the coloring.... Happy Reefing!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce1:

MCCOOL
02/17/2011, 09:01 PM
Pinkface Wrasse (in my avatar) won't touch your corals and is extremely colorful. I have had one for a few weeks now and it has not touched any snails or hermits, but each fish is different.

Did you get it from Diver's Den by chance? One sold a few weeks back that was beautiful.

Has it been very aggressive with other fish?

haysanatar
02/17/2011, 10:40 PM
yeah I don't plan on having any smaller shrimp..
only shrimp I want would be a cleaner shrimp probably a fire shrimp... ( skunk cleaner shrimp are food snatchers ) some of the larger wrasses really have personality there's a hardwick's at the lfs that's very personable looks really friendly.... but you know how that goes.

I need a nice coral safe wrasse large that won't bother fire shrimp hermits or snails.

the Melanurus and the Pink Face look amazing

liveaquaria has them for not too much.. but are out!

anyone have any experience with leapard wrasses?

MCCOOL
02/17/2011, 10:52 PM
I have a Melanurus and a M. meleagris leopard wrasse and they are both great reef fish (minus the invert eating, oh well).

Spend some time reading the leopard wrasse primer if you plan on buying one, they can be finicky.

haysanatar
02/17/2011, 11:03 PM
have you lost any inverts?
if so what?

MCCOOL
02/17/2011, 11:13 PM
I've witnessed the leopard bite a peppermint shrimp in half and eat it. I've also had a decrease in snail activity, although I've never actually seen either fish eat one. Well worth it in my opinion though. both are very peaceful with other fish, and don't touch coral at all.

haysanatar
02/17/2011, 11:24 PM
a leopard bite a peppermint shrimp in half!!!!?!?!? really
I was under the impression they were just pod eaters...
I'm about done with astreas... after dealing with them for years.. its hard to believe in evolution... i mean really..
I'm moving to chitons (which I've had good experiences with) and long spine urchins..
and a few ceriths and nerites.
I really don't plan to have any peppermints and don't plan to.
do you think they'd mess with a fire shrimp?
or has anyone had a cleaner wrasse before?

Gary Majchrzak
02/17/2011, 11:25 PM
I've kept LOTS of Macropharyngodon over the years and I can't see one biting a shrimp in half.
A Melanurus might.
Thallasoma (like the pink face etc.) will definitely take out shrimps/snails/crabs. (I wouldn't put a Hardwicke into a reef aquarium!)

Best large reef compatible wrasses are Cirrhilabrus species.

read this (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/hcs3/index.php)

MCCOOL
02/17/2011, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't watched it happen. I released the shrimp in the middle of the day and it made it about 6 inches down the water column before being eaten. It never messed with the cleaner shrimp, although I removed them before adding the Melanurus.

I have a long spine urchin for algae control that does a wonderful job.

haysanatar
02/17/2011, 11:45 PM
thanks for the quick responses guys.
i really wish the larger wrasses were shrimp friendly.
like the goldbar.. thats pretty..
has anyone had any cleaner wrasses?
do they actually clean..
or can they but don't usually.. or they do only on larger fish.

SkullV
02/17/2011, 11:46 PM
Did you get it from Diver's Den by chance? One sold a few weeks back that was beautiful.

Has it been very aggressive with other fish?

Yes, it was that one. I had been looking for a healthy one for a LONG time and the second that one came up on Divers Den it was mine.

haysanatar
02/17/2011, 11:48 PM
definitely a gorgeous fish no doubt about that what do you have in your tank with it?
any issues so far.
and if you don't mind my asking what'd you pay for one.

Jdbrine
02/17/2011, 11:48 PM
African Exquisite Wrasse, they have amazing color and can grow to 7+ inches...

haysanatar
02/17/2011, 11:52 PM
African Exquisite Wrasse, they have amazing color and can grow to 7+ inches...

i heard they were flat out mean

jakearoe
02/18/2011, 09:30 AM
I've kept LOTS of Macropharyngodon over the years and I can't see one biting a shrimp in half.
A Melanurus might.

read this (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/hcs3/index.php)

I have two cleaners in with my Melanurus but they are pretty big. I also think my cerith population has taken taken a hit from this fish, but have never witnessed anything. Astraea's seem to fair just fine.

The main reason I got the Mel was pest control. There are a few negatives to them, but in general he serves his purpose well. Constantly roaming the reef looking for stuff.

haysanatar
02/18/2011, 09:59 AM
i might give the melanurus a try we'll see
its either that or a fairy..i was just hoping for something a tad larger.

Gary Majchrzak
02/18/2011, 10:08 AM
then get the exquisite. They aren't "mean".

Cirrhilabrus, Macropharyngodon and Paracheilinus contain the species you should be looking at. For pest control look at Halichoeres and Macropharyngodon.

chimmike
02/18/2011, 10:32 AM
I'm about done with astreas... after dealing with them for years.. its hard to believe in evolution... i mean really..

I LOL'd at this one. I agree with you 100%. Terrible snails, they are.

Trochus, mexican turbos/turbos, margaritas, ceriths, nassarius. Only way to go.

tcoral
02/18/2011, 10:47 AM
Melanurus?

Very active, but I don't know if it would qualify as 'semi passive'. Pretty fish, lots and lots of movement.

+1 Melanarus, great wrasse.

Also I have a green and a yellow corris wrasse that leave my corals and clams alone. Then there is always the mystery wrasse.

How big is big for you?

haysanatar
02/18/2011, 10:18 PM
Cirrhilabrus, Macropharyngodon and Paracheilinus contain the species you should be looking at. For pest control look at Halichoeres and Macropharyngodon.

thanks Gary you've been very helpful, I do have a question.. I have a healthy stometella population and i really like them.. (they clean my tank and aren't out during the day) I'm willing to bet those would probably get hit when I add the wrasses correct.

I LOL'd at this one. I agree with you 100%. Terrible snails, they are.

I've tried chitons as well.. and i LOVE THEM. I've also had some nerites that I really liked..
I used to have tons of astreas... but my wife likes cleaning my glass to much now I have a graveyard..
not a turbo fan... they're like giant buldozers they knock over everything.. I had one that got to be nearly softball size... way to destructive

SkullV
02/19/2011, 12:51 AM
definitely a gorgeous fish no doubt about that what do you have in your tank with it?
any issues so far.
and if you don't mind my asking what'd you pay for one.

Currently lives with a Sargassum Trigger, a Flame Angel, and a Coral Beauty Angel. I used to have a Diamond Goby that I recently sold and that was the only fish that the quinquevittatum would chase.

I did notice it picking on some of my "experiment" zoas today so I don't think I would consider it reef safe anymore.

haysanatar
02/19/2011, 05:44 PM
shame :(

Barfly
03/01/2011, 05:34 PM

Margarita snails are not a good option for a reef tank. They will all eventually die. It is important not to house Margarita snails in warm aquariums. The recommended temperature range is 50-60° F / 10-15° C, but some aquarists have successfully kept this species in temperatures up to 68° F / 20° C.

Also, while I agree that astrea snails can be a PITA, since going BB I have not had to worry about turning them back right side up after a fall.