PDA

View Full Version : To sump or not to sump?

MarinePaethor
02/17/2011, 07:46 PM
Having been given not necessarily the best advice when I set up my tank, I do not have a sump set up for my tank. I am currently using a canister filter, a Fluval 405. This is partly because I was given the tank and the filter for free, and partly because a couple of people told me that a 46g tank wouldn't need a sump and the canister filter would be just fine.

Now that my tank has been up and running for a few months, and as I am getting ready to move my newest fish from QT to DT next week, I am beginning to wonder how I should proceed with my tank. As I increase the bio load, I definitely want to get a protein skimmer set up. So now would be the time to decide if I should get a HOB skimmer and keep using the canister, or if I need to add a sump and lose the canister. The biggest problem with adding a sump would be the fact that the stand I am currently using would in no way work. It barely has enough room to house the canister filter. I would need to get a new stand, empty the tank enough to move it, and swap stands out.

So I am looking for some advice and opinions.

Despite the fact that it is not as common a practice, does anyone keep a successful tank with a canister filter and a HOB skimmer? As long as I stay on top of keeping the pads clean and the bio load moderate, would this type of setup be ok in the long run? If so, any particular HOB skimmer I should get to be successful? Anything else I should add or consider with this configuration?

Or would I be better off in the long run to swap out the stand and get a sump set up?

Or would a HOB skimmer and a HOB filter for mechanical filtration be enough on a 46g tank if I have enough LR for biological filtration?

Sorry for the somewhat long post, I just want to get this figured out before I get any more fish in my DT.

Thanks for any information or advice you can offer.

Indymann99
02/17/2011, 07:56 PM
Back in 1985 I ran a 55g with a canister and hob filter. It worked and my tank ran that way for 5+ years (more after I sold the running tank). Now that I have a sump... cant imagine not having one.

I would do everything possible to setup a sump.

my 0.02

IMM3DOORSDOWN
02/17/2011, 08:19 PM
back in the day i ran multiple differant tanks. this is the first time i actually have a sump.and the differance is night and day.! never started a tank that ran soooo smooothly.

robrich342
02/17/2011, 08:23 PM
I would look at the website glass cages and buy a acrylic tank the size you need and make your own sump with it glue baffles where you want them and it will cost 1/3 of the cost of a store bought sump.

I would not have a reef without a sump, I do all my work in the sump and never disturb the main tank. More total water volume better tank stability.

Reverend Reefer
02/17/2011, 08:24 PM
if u think its going to be a pain in the arse now, it will be a huge pain later. my first 1.5-2 yrs i did like you, ran an eheim canister and eventually got a cheap HOB CSS skimmer.

as the "problems" arose, i added a refugium. then i added a second refugium. both beside my DT. it got ridiculously frankenstein. i eventually gave in and decided to build a sump, and a new stand (same as you, my stand then couldn't reasonably hold a proper sump) which i made relatively cheaply with 2x4s, plywood, and tiled cinder blocks (i copied a TOTM design for the stand concept http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-12/totm/index.php).

i went through alot to get that sump built, stand built, plan the plumbing and then build it, and then moving all my livestock into piles of styrofoam boxes running aquaclears for a couple days and clamp on lights. it was insanity! i lost some corals, no fish death though luckily. live rock had to come out and most of the sand. then i had to get a bunch of dudes to help me move the tank, move the old stand out, move the new stand in, then put the heavy tank (with the bit of sand in it) onto the new stand. then put all the live stock back in. then attach the plumbing.

its a bigger ordeal if you have livestock in there and the time is ticking like a time bomb.

BUT, now my tank has no issues with filtration and the sump has done wonders for everything. not having a sump really makes you appreciate it when u get one! especially when u make a custom sump and design it how you want it. i also kinda feel like a real reefer now that i have a sump, stupid i know.

so i say, do it now before you end up like me!

dubes08
02/17/2011, 10:45 PM
You need a sump i am sorry but you need one lol.