PDA

View Full Version : New set-up - What else do I need?

AmberL
02/20/2011, 06:52 AM
I purchased my set up last night from a LFS. It should be in and mostly assembled on Thursday for pick up. I purchased the following:

-90 gallon reef ready aquarium
-plumbing kit
-stand and canopy
-acrylic refugium sump
-Eheim compact 3000 return pump
-300 watt heater
-Wavepoint 4 bulb VHO T-5 retro light
-Coralife 96 watt quad 6700 k refugium light
-Vertex 180 skimmer internal
-Sunbright lighting LED 48" tube
-Koralia 1400 VPN water flow
-AA Live sand, 40 lbs
-live rock, purple, 37 lbs
-key largo base rock, 37 lbs
-90 gallons salt water

So... What else do I need? I know I am going to add an auto feeder. Do I need a UV sterilizer? Anything else? Supplements? What type of fish is best to start off with in a new tank?

Thanks! :spin1:

kingfisher62
02/20/2011, 07:04 AM
Test kiits and refractometer!

kclewis
02/20/2011, 07:13 AM
Just off hand more water. 90 will be cutting it close. You will have some water dispersion with the rock and sand but you also have to take in sump volume and plumbing. Also 40 lbs of sand won't cut it. Do yourself a favor and buy a ro/di setup now. Good luck sounds like a great start.

Uncko Macko
02/20/2011, 07:48 AM
Controller. Small pump to mix & transfer new water. RO/DI system. Big water container. 2 Float shut-off valves(one for new water and one in the sump for auto top-off). Carbon. Phosban. A media reactor if you want. I just put the filter media in the sump. Quarantine setup. Clean up crew. Coral. Fish! and patience.

UV is debated alot on ReefCentral. I run UV on my fish only w/ live rock set up but not in the mixed reef. UV also kills they good stuff.

AmberL
02/22/2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the advice!

kctango
02/22/2011, 09:16 AM
Amber, remember that time is what you need the most, time for the tank to cycle, time after the cycle for your cleanup crew, time after the CuC to add your first fish/coral. Then time to enjoy a great and time consuming hobby. It can become a way of life and enjoyment.
Have fun, welcome and enjoy.

Crusinjimbo
02/22/2011, 10:08 AM
+1 on the RO system. You will save large bank on water for top-off/change.

MaxxdOut
02/22/2011, 10:31 AM
+1 on the RO system. You will save large bank on water for top-off/change.
x2

Also, what kind of heater do you have? If it's a Marine Land do a search on this forum and take it back.

lacosta28
02/22/2011, 10:44 AM
Definately need a refractometer and RO unit so you don't have to purchase water from the store. I found that you can purchase a hydrometer to save money at first but in the end you will end up buying a refractometer.

You may also want to look at getting more sand in there. At least another 40 pound back. You will also need some mud and sand for your refugium.

Bit of advice, Take your time setting up the tank especially when placing the rock in. If you try and do this after you have filled with water it is a nightmare. Let the tank cycle at least until you get diatom bloom. Then test for Nitrites and amonia. If they are zero you can start to slowly add your CUC. The only thing I put live in my tank in the first week was some cheato in my sump.

One last thing you may want to consider is a check valve on your return pump. This is to prevent it from becoming a syphon when it gets turned off during a power outage or if you manually turn it off. I tried the drilling a hole thing and that just shot a bunch of water in my tank and made microbubbles. I am much happier with the check valve.

Sk8r
02/22/2011, 11:07 AM
ro/di filter.
fill with ro/di water only.
1 lb rock and 1 lb sand per gallon.
Plan on 4 week cycle with all live rock, up to 8 weeks with dry rock and a little live rock. Remember it's a process, not an event, so even when it goes live, it's just barely alive: treat it with great tenderness until it 'grows up' as a tank and becomes able to handle larger loads.