PDA

View Full Version : Need help with PH

vinnie75
02/20/2011, 11:33 AM
My PH is low, even after a partial water change. its 7.6 in the am. KH is 120 and GH is 180. NO2 & NO3 zero or really close. I haven't checked alk, but i assume it is spot on, since i add calcium and brightwell 8.3 daily. What can I use to raise my Ph to a safer level?

Percula9
02/20/2011, 01:05 PM
By the way KH is the same as alk. GH has no meaning in salt water. How are you measuring pH? Low pH is caused by high CO2 in the air.

bertoni
02/20/2011, 03:06 PM
I agree that carbon dioxide is the problem, if the measurement is correct. I would get a second opinion on the kit, since 7.6 is very low, and pH kits are a constant source of trouble.

The KH is a bit low at 120 ppm: I'd raise it a bit to 150 ppm or so. The usual recommended range is 125-200 ppm.

The Brightwell supplement is a high pH alkalinity supplement, and it'll help some. A limewater drip is more effective, and fresher air might help solve the problem. You could try aerating a cup of water outside for 3 hours and measuring the pH. It should be a lot higher. An airstone or a small pump in a cup or water or so would be fine.

vinnie75
02/20/2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks, I just got the API test strips, not too confident in them. I have the reefmaster kit on the way, also API. I just want to stabilize the water better. It was fine not too long ago. I will try aerating water outside. Thanks. I have had my tank going for over a year without casualties. I had shoulder surgery in Dec, which limited what i was able to do for 6 weeks. I had slacked on my tank in that period of time. Its still good, but my coral seems stunted in growth from it(which i suspect is due to a lower ph).