PDA

View Full Version : Moved from 40 gallon to 75 gallon

AdamMillerDO
02/20/2011, 12:46 PM
So here goes what is probably a dumb question that I already know the answer too. I just need some backup. :twitch: I recently moved for a new job. The new job pays much better so I upgraded from a 40 gallon tall to a 75 gallon all glass aquarium. My 40 gallon tall was basically a FOWLR with a DSB. I had it running for a couple years and it was rather healthy but I only had a canister filter with a HOB protein skimmer. As I was upgrading tanks I decided it was time to upgrade filtration, so I built a 20 gallon sump with refugium. I am using a 2400 gph magdrive pump with a head height of about 4 feet so I assume I am moving right at 2000 gallons per hour. I moved over all of my old water, my live rocks, and all of my sand.
I had a few mushrooms in there that did quite well before the move. Well after the move my shrooms have died, my brittle star has died, and I lost an emerald crab. I now how any outbreak of green algae. I bought some Astrea snails from my LFS but they all but 2 have died but there is not a large market for marine fish and inverts in my area so they could have been on the way out before I got them.

Am I going through another cycling process like a new tank? Will have to wait 6 months or longer before starting an actual reef?

AdamMillerDO
02/20/2011, 05:32 PM
No opinions?