PDA

View Full Version : R.O. / D.I. units

Froggy
02/20/2011, 11:59 AM
Hi, I have a 120 gallon reef and am in need of upgrading my bare bones R.O. only unit. I am interested in your premium line of R.O/D.I. units. I am trying to decide between the 75 GPD and 100 GPD units. What are to pro and cons between the two between production rate? Thanks,
Joe

DC_40gallon
02/20/2011, 12:18 PM
I own a BFS unit (75 gpd). The only difference between the premium 75gpd unit and the 100gpd unit is the membrane, that's it. Russ installs a 75gpd membrane in one and a 100 in the other. I would advise going with the 75 gpd because the rejection rate is higher I believe and the output on any ro/di unit is going to fluctuate throughout the year depending on the water temp of the cold water. In spring and summer, I get well over 100gpd output due to the cold water temp is warmer than in fall/winter. If you purchase a 75gpd unit you can always put in a 100gpd membrane when it's time to replace your membrane.

You'll love the industrial build of BFS units. I dropped mine from a shelf above the our washer in the utility room, it fell straight down filled with water and slammed down about 6 feet to a concrete floor. The only thing that took a hit was the frame that had a 3 inch hair crack in it. I reattached the hoses that came disconnected, tested the unit and it was perfectly fine and still looks brand new. No scuffs, scrapes or breaks!

Buckeye Hydro
02/20/2011, 03:50 PM
Froggy - DC covered it pretty well. the 100 will make water 33% quicker. The 100 gpd membrane however doesn't clean the water quite as well, and as a result you'll go through DI resin faster than you will with a 75. Other than that, they are identical.

Are you planning to have some storage capacity for the DI water?

Russ

Froggy
02/20/2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys!

Russ, as of now I am using a 40 gallon tote to store my R.O. water. I plan on using the same with my new setup. I do not use a float valve and am dependant on remembering to turn it off. That is not too big of a problem with my current 35 GPD RO unit. I will have to set a timer for new 75 GPD RO/DI unit: )

Buckeye Hydro
02/20/2011, 07:16 PM
If you want to have the system shut itself off when the tote is full, you can use a float valve and what's called an auto shut off valve. These two will stop all flow of water from the system, and you could give that timer a rest...

Russ

Froggy
02/21/2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks,

I just finished making my order. I went with the Premium RO/DI 75 GPD 161 series.

I am very excited for it to arrive. Thanks again for all of the info.

Joe

Buckeye Hydro
02/21/2011, 03:10 PM
You bet. Thanks Joe.

DC_40gallon
02/21/2011, 09:53 PM
Congrats Joe! I'm not bragging just because Russ is around but out of all my pieces of equipment I've had to purchase I'm happiest with my BFS ro/di unit and it's brought more "outside of fish tank world" use than I ever realized it would.

Certainly the best water I've ever drank in my life.

Froggy
02/24/2011, 07:31 AM
Hi, I just wanted to give an update. I received my shipment yesterday. The unit was well packaged and very easy to set up per the included instructions. I followed the step by step instructions making installation a breeze.
I tested my source water with the new TDS meter. Source water came in at 115 PPM. RO only tested at 13 PPM and tested at a pure 0 PPM after the DI stage. My water pressure through the unit is 60 PSI according to the included pressure gauge. Thanks again Russ for the great product.
Joe

Buckeye Hydro
02/24/2011, 07:44 PM
That RO TDS ought to come down a bit over the first 6 hours or so of run time.

Russ

henrystyle
03/06/2011, 06:53 AM
How does the premium 150 gpd compare to the 75 gpd?
And is it best to run warm or cold water through the ro/di filter?

Buckeye Hydro
03/06/2011, 07:44 AM
Nearly identical rejection rates on the membranes, but the 150 is spec'ed at 65+ psi feedwater, while the 75 is spec'ed at 50 psi. Other than that, the systems are identical.

Regarding your question about temperature of the feedwater. With lower temperatures comes slower production, slightly higher rejection, and relatively more waste water.

To see the effects of temperature on pure water production take a look at the calculator on our website.

So I guess it depends upon your preference. If you are prioritizing faster production, you'd go with warmer water.

But if you go with anything but cold water, be careful to never feed the membrane HOT water. Anything over 113F voids the warranty. Just for context - 113F water is too hot to touch. A very hot hot tub is about 105F.

Russ

henrystyle
03/08/2011, 07:37 PM
Nearly identical rejection rates on the membranes, but the 150 is spec'ed at 65+ psi feedwater, while the 75 is spec'ed at 50 psi. Other than that, the systems are identical.

Regarding your question about temperature of the feedwater. With lower temperatures comes slower production, slightly higher rejection, and relatively more waste water.

To see the effects of temperature on pure water production take a look at the calculator on our website.

So I guess it depends upon your preference. If you are prioritizing faster production, you'd go with warmer water.

But if you go with anything but cold water, be careful to never feed the membrane HOT water. Anything over 113F voids the warranty. Just for context - 113F water is too hot to touch. A very hot hot tub is about 105F.

Russ
ok, thanks.

Reefs1
03/09/2011, 09:30 PM
Pondering one of these, looking at all the usualy suspect. Like your product line up and reputation. Any group buys going on right now you know of?

I would ask for your recommendation. I am setting up a small tank, 14 gallon biocube. Which unit would you say I should go with. I think the premium line suits me best since I know inevitably I will want a TDS and pressure guage, although my water pressure is solid where I live.

Thanks in advance!

Buckeye Hydro
03/10/2011, 05:33 AM
We have group buys going on now with a number of clubs across the country.

The premium series systems come with a pressure gauge and TDS meter.

Russ

henrystyle
03/11/2011, 05:43 AM
just placed my order for a premium 75.

Buckeye Hydro
03/11/2011, 07:33 AM
Got it! Thanks Henry. Should go out today.

Russ

henrystyle
03/15/2011, 06:43 PM
Just got the package. Thanks.
What do you think about using a membrane flush kit?

Buckeye Hydro
03/16/2011, 02:14 AM
If you we're in a lab situation, you might flush the system everytime you turned it off. Because that's not practical for most people, flushing more often is better than flushing less often.

An automatic flush flow restrictor is a good choice where the waste water to permeate flow is less than 4:1.

Russ

henrystyle
03/16/2011, 06:35 AM
If you we're in a lab situation, you might flush the system everytime you turned it off. Because that's not practical for most people, flushing more often is better than flushing less often.

An automatic flush flow restrictor is a good choice where the waste water to permeate flow is less than 4:1.

Russ
ok. thanks. As long as my tds says 000, thats all I care about. lol