PDA

View Full Version : Calling all acrylic experts... is this a crack?

knesbeck
02/21/2011, 12:42 AM
Hi all! Brand new future reefer here (many years of freshwater). We just brought home our used acrylic 125 Gallon (60x18x24) tank. Upon further inspection I notice what appeared to be a 'crack' on the bottom near the corner of the overflow.

The 'crack' cannot be felt on either side with a fingernail, and on the top there is an 'outline' surrounding the crack which remained after I wiped the area down and I am wondering if it might be residue from a previous repair.

Also I pressed on the area to see if it moved or wanted to run (like a broken windshield) but it had no apparent desire to spread. Just want to figure out if it is ok or how to determine if it needs further repair or if we just got hosed.

Pictures
http://web.me.com/nicholasknesbeck/Site_2/Acrylic_Tank.html

Thanks in advance and I look forward to participating here on RC.

dublo8
02/21/2011, 01:00 AM
It appears to be something called "crazing" it's like a bunch of little micro cracks. Sometimes nothing to worry about but can become brittle. It's usually from the acrylic becoming stressed.

samdaman
02/21/2011, 01:21 AM
Where exactly is it on the tank?

Just reads where it was lol, Looks cracked to me too.

Turbovr3six
02/21/2011, 01:21 AM
IMO it looks like it cracked, then someone tried to use weld-on to fix it and used too much. Too much solvent will give the "crazed" look.

Make sure to do an extensive leak test OUTSIDE for a while before filling it in your house. I would suggest getting another tank,but thats just me. Others may disagree

mike_cmu04
02/21/2011, 10:21 AM
It definently looks like a crack to me also.

dzfish17
02/21/2011, 10:52 AM
I agree, it looks like someone tried to fix a crack.

125G Reefer
02/21/2011, 11:39 AM
Yup, its a crack, it appears that it goes all the way through.

MaxxdOut
02/21/2011, 01:30 PM
No expert, but it appears to be a crack. I would address it before you fill and stock, because a crack like that could easily spread.

knesbeck
02/21/2011, 02:00 PM
Does anyone think it could be repaired? Could a patch plate be welded onto the top of it? Not sure where to look to find someone that could do repairs. Who knows maybe it is too risky to try to fix.

Was really looking forward to getting our reef underway but now we aren't even sure we have a usable aquarium... bummer...

cakemanPA
02/21/2011, 03:59 PM
I agree that it does look like a crack. With some acrylic underneath the crack and some cut around the overflow inside the tank, this could be welded to prevent the crack from spreading. Either patch it or get another tank. I would be afraid to run a tank with a known crack in it.