PDA

View Full Version : Gigantea tentacles vibrate right?

Blitzburggirl
02/21/2011, 11:20 AM
Could someone please post a video of what this is describing?

Or point me to one that is currently posted?

Blitzburggirl
02/21/2011, 01:17 PM
I've dug through archives, which lead me to reading a thread started early in 2004, where someone posted videos, but the links required a log in.

BonsaiNut
02/21/2011, 07:20 PM
I don't have a video.

Gigantea tentacles can vibrate. They don't always, and sometimes only some of the tentacles vibrate while other tentacles don't. Vibrate is not a good description of the movement. I would describe it as "wiggle" or "writhe". They move back and forth in a somewhat wiggly serpentine fashion. In my experience they are more likely to do it when there is little / no water movement.

By the way, S. haddonis can also wiggle their tentacles in a similar fashion, but in my experience don't do so as frequently.

jonnybravo22
02/21/2011, 11:37 PM
gave me an opportunity to test out a recently acquired macro lens!

all pumps were turned off so you could see the "vibrating" tentacles. clowns come in every now and then and push them around but if you pay attention you'll see individual tentacles moving on their own.

<object width="400" height="225"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=20229954&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00A DEF&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=20229954&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00A DEF&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>

Conrad25
02/22/2011, 09:13 AM
good vid of it jonny. I also would say its better to say it actually wiggling and not actually vibrating. Mine only does it if its flow is turned off in the tank.

Conrad

this is me
02/22/2011, 10:44 AM
Nice clip to demonstrate this Johny. Mine does the same when the pump is off.

Blitzburggirl
02/22/2011, 11:04 AM
Ugh! :) Hahahahaha for some reason the video isn't popping up for me LOL I'm sure it will work later/next log in ;)

Thank you!!!! After digging and reading and reading and digging, I kept finding places that mentioned it, but never a real example!