PDA

View Full Version : Need help - ATI PM 60" 10x80w or Lumen Bright Fixture

yoccm
02/21/2011, 02:06 PM
I am planning a 240G build (72Lx30Wx26H). I can't decide between the ATI PM and this new lumen bright fixture that is coming out - It is 72"x24" and has 3 lumen brute mini pendants on the switchable 250/400w ballasts, 2 T5HO bulbs and 12 blue LEDs for moonlight effect.

I really like the shimmer of MH and the option of moonlight effect but the ATI is hard to pass up ... Such an awesome fixture.

Looking for input

Thanks, Chris

yoccm
02/23/2011, 10:36 PM
Bump - any thoughts?

Felixc395
02/23/2011, 10:44 PM
Hmm, the lumen bright sounds nice, but I just don't think you can beat the ATI. IMO, the ATI will help reduce heat as well as provide a multitude of color combo options.

But this is just my opinion, both will work well, just pros and cons to both like every other tricky decision in life.

Anyways, good luck!!! :)

solitude127
02/24/2011, 12:07 AM
If you really need the shimmer, then the PM is not your fixture. If you go without it, it's pretty tough to beat the PM in performance.

yoccm
02/24/2011, 07:50 AM
Thanks guys - while I like the shimmer, the most important thing is the what will make the coral the happiest. There are a ton of very satisfied ATI customers on this site. I think I should leave the experimentation to others nag go with the known thing.

While I know 20 k radium MH are also tried and true, I am just not handy enough to do the whole DIY thing.

fcmatt
02/24/2011, 10:56 AM
i am staying away from LEDs for at least a few more years. i went with ATI.
i got tired of being the beta tester for companies when new products come out.

chimmike
02/24/2011, 11:06 AM
You can aways do a Sunpower module as well to save a few bucks. LOVE my sunpower. Would buy another ATI fixture in a heartbeat. Can't beat either sunpower or the powermodule.

For shimmer, you can throw on some stunner strips (LED's) as supplemental blue, if you really want it.

yoccm
02/24/2011, 02:23 PM
You can aways do a Sunpower module as well to save a few bucks. LOVE my sunpower. Would buy another ATI fixture in a heartbeat. Can't beat either sunpower or the powermodule.

For shimmer, you can throw on some stunner strips (LED's) as supplemental blue, if you really want it.

Yeah - I was thinking about the sun power. It will be an in wall build so aesthetics isn't an issue. Sounds like the only real difference is the PM has more cooling which may slightly extend the life of the bulbs. Both ATI products look rock solid!!

yoccm
02/24/2011, 02:48 PM
As for shimmer - I was thinking about using stunners but I have seen other threads where people say the t5s are too powerful and wash out the stunners shimmer effect. I was thinking of using a PAR38 spotlight for some shimmer - thought it might give the effect of the sun shining in on a specific spot on the floor of the tank. Would have to make sure it doesn't fry stuff underneath it though.

chimmike
02/24/2011, 02:49 PM
that could be pretty sweet too. Either way, I had halides before and I don't miss the shimmer. It was nice, but I like the color the t5's give.

yoccm
02/24/2011, 03:51 PM
that could be pretty sweet too. Either way, I had halides before and I don't miss the shimmer. It was nice, but I like the color the t5's give.

What bulb mix are you using? And how long do you run your bulbs each day?