PDA

View Full Version : Need the gurus help: Thought on this "water" product?

USC-fan
02/21/2011, 03:06 PM
http://oxyburst.com/about.html

What you think about this? Scam?

jdyer88
02/21/2011, 03:39 PM
I'm no guru, and certainly not a chemist, but if you start breaking up water molecules wouldn't you NOT have water anymore?

I believe your username should be SCUfan

This post was made from the land of the REAL USC

FIGHT ON

(lol):spin1:jk

noahm
02/21/2011, 06:46 PM
Yes it is a scam if you are paying for it. If not, it is likely harmless. If they are doing as they claim, and making a stable oxygen O2, then the respective 4 H+ ions would need a place to go, or they would find the o2 and form water again. This means added chems of some sort. There is some dissolved O2 in water as it is, but you get plenty from breathing, so why waste time there. It is probably way cheaper to get bottled medical O2 and drag around your breathing canister than buy some water that has extra dissolved oxygen if you are so inclined, or are short of breath. I am not even sure what their selling point is trying to be.

Whatever they claim, it is of no benefit to you, but I'm sure lots of people will swear it makes them immortal or some garbage. Save your money and drink regular or carbon filtered water.

Edit: I read a bit more of their FAQ. I don't know what new species of stable oxygen they are claiming, but they say it isn't O2 or H2O2. O3 isn't stable at all, and they claim that adding anything will wreck it, so it doesn't sound very stable to me. The elusive O4 molecule. lol. Utter garbage.

HighlandReefer
02/21/2011, 07:05 PM
I have no idea. :lol:

Maybe this guy knows what he is talking about, who knows?

Topic: Super Oxides, CGDs, Oxybursts, Dimers
http://www.morgboard.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=254

noahm
02/21/2011, 07:14 PM
If they are creating O2- through some method, it would be very unstable/reactive. Not good for you.

heres a fun quote on superoxide.
Superoxide may contribute to the pathogenesis of many diseases (the evidence is particularly strong for radiation poisoning and hyperoxic injury), and perhaps also to aging via the oxidative damage that it inflicts on cells.

bertoni
02/21/2011, 07:26 PM
They might just be injecting some oxygen into the water, the same way carbon dioxide is added. It probably won't harm anything, but it's very silly, IMO.

HighlandReefer
02/21/2011, 07:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superoxide

From this link:

Superoxide in biologySuperoxide is biologically quite toxic and is deployed by the immune system to kill invading microorganisms. In phagocytes, superoxide is produced in large quantities by the enzyme NADPH oxidase for use in oxygen-dependent killing mechanisms of invading pathogens. Mutations in the gene coding for the NADPH oxidase cause an immunodeficiency syndrome called chronic granulomatous disease, characterized by extreme susceptibility to infection, especially catalase positive organisms. In turn, micro-organisms genetically engineered to lack superoxide dismutase (SOD), lose virulence. Superoxide is also deleteriously produced as a byproduct of mitochondrial respiration (most notably by Complex I and Complex III), as well as several other enzymes, for example xanthine oxidase[4].

Because superoxide is toxic, nearly all organisms living in the presence of oxygen contain isoforms of the superoxide scavenging enzyme, superoxide dismutase, or SOD. SOD is an extremely efficient enzyme; it catalyzes the neutralization of superoxide nearly as fast as the two can diffuse together spontaneously in solution. Other proteins, which can be both oxidized and reduced by superoxide, have weak SOD-like activity (e.g. hemoglobin). Genetic inactivation ("knockout") of SOD produces deleterious phenotypes in organisms ranging from bacteria to mice and have provided important clues as to the mechanisms of toxicity of superoxide in vivo.

Yeast lacking both mitochondrial and cytosolic SOD grow very poorly in air, but quite well under anaerobic conditions. Absence of cytosolic SOD causes a dramatic increase in mutagenesis and genomic instability. Mice lacking mitochondrial SOD (MnSOD) die around 21 days after birth due to neurodegeneration, cardiomyopathy and lactic acidosis.[4] Mice lacking cytosolic SOD (CuZnSOD) are viable but suffer from multiple pathologies, including reduced lifespan, liver cancer, muscle atrophy, cataracts, thymic involution, haemolytic anemia and a very rapid age-dependent decline in female fertility.[5]

Superoxide may contribute to the pathogenesis of many diseases (the evidence is particularly strong for radiation poisoning and hyperoxic injury), and perhaps also to aging via the oxidative damage that it inflicts on cells. While the action of superoxide in the pathogenesis of some conditions is strong, for instance, mice and rats overexpressing CuZnSOD or MnSOD are more resistant to strokes and heart attacks, the role of superoxide in aging must be regarded as unproven for now. In model organisms (yeast, the fruit fly Drosophila and mice), genetically knocking out CuZnSOD shortens lifespan and accelerates certain features of aging (cataracts, muscle atrophy, macular degeneration, thymic involution), but the converse, increasing the levels of CuZnSOD, does not seem (except perhaps in Drosophila), to consistently increase lifespan.[5] The most widely accepted view is that oxidative damage (derived amongst other factors, from superoxide) is but one of several factors limiting lifespan.

USC-fan
02/21/2011, 10:42 PM
Its really I sad story why I'm asking. My father in law just passed away from colon cancer. This is the "treatment" he went to after the "normal" doctor said there was nothing they could do.

He drank this water and took 3 baths a day in the water.

Here is the site for the treatment.

http://crfintl.org/index.html

I thinking about reporting him to the FDA because they were paying a lot of money for this treatment and water. At first I thought it was ozone but I really dont know what it is and other family members are drinking this still. Is it harmful?

Thanks for the help.

bertoni
02/21/2011, 11:04 PM
I don't think it'd be harmful but I think it's useless. I would guess that they're off-shore, or the like. I'm sorry to hear about your father in law.

Jimmy54
02/22/2011, 03:03 AM
As soon as you open the bottle everything addet to the water will "evaporate" due to the osmotic pressure or ambiant pressure if you like.
Makes no difference whether it's O2, CO2 or O3, water will always return to its original state H2O.

USC-fan
02/22/2011, 08:57 AM
I don't think it'd be harmful but I think it's useless. I would guess that they're off-shore, or the like. I'm sorry to hear about your father in law.

They are in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have contacted the FDA, not sure if they will do anything.

noahm
02/22/2011, 03:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

HighlandReefer
02/22/2011, 03:54 PM
Likewise, I am sorry to hear about your father in law. :(