PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Water Reservoir Size

kctango
02/21/2011, 03:39 PM
I am currently setting up a 110Gal 48x18x30 tank with sump. I will be also installing an ATO to maintain the water levels. I purchased a RO/DI unit from BRS which is rated at 75GPD. Now I need to get a reservoir to maintain makeup water. I have located two different water tanks that would fit into my storage area. What size tank would you recommend. 21 gallon (39x16x8)
or a 16 gallon (24x15x10), both these tanks are FDA Approved Polyethylene Material for water. The cost + shipping 60(21gal) and 45(16gal) so cost really isn't an issue.

jdyer88
02/21/2011, 03:44 PM
i haven't had any problem storing mine in a 55gal container so i would think bigger is better. google search usplastics, they have a ton of food grade containers and reasonable shipping rates.

bigdoug
02/21/2011, 03:47 PM
Brute trash can 35gal, $15 at lowes. IMO go with the biggest you have space for.

jbax
02/21/2011, 03:54 PM
your tank is prolly going to evaporate 3-5g a day. so every 3-4 days your going to run your ro/di to fill the Reservoir. and all the small ro/di sessions will shorten the life span of your filters. i know not everyone has room but i built a mixing station out of two 55g drums. and ran a 1/4" tube from my garage through my attic behind my tank to my 5g ato bucket. theres a little more to it but it has made my life alot easier.

kctango
02/21/2011, 04:04 PM
Jbax so do you have two ATO's one for the tank and the other for the 5 Gal bucket or do you fill it everyday??
Do you think if I did something similar that I could store water outside in a 55 gallon tank then plumb it inside to my say 16 gallon tank with a heater to warm it in the winter months before it goes into the DT. If I had to go small with one of these tanks should I waste off 30-40 gallons of water each time or does that make no difference on the filters.

Might be able to fit a 30 gallon 35x18x12 for only $75

BigDoug which autotop off do you use?

How much makeup water do you use a day?

jbax
02/21/2011, 04:40 PM
here is how my system works.

ro/di feed= i drilled a hole above the 50g mark on my barrel and installed a float valve. when the barrel is full the ASO on the ro/di unit turns off the unit.

ato feed= i drilled and tapped a hole at the bottom of the FW barrel with a 1/4 fitting. then ran a 1/4 tube to a 8800 booster pump w/ a pressure switch. from there i ran a 1/4 tube through the attic to the 5g bucket under my stand. i drilled a hole at the top of the 5g bucket and installed a float valve. when the 5g bucket is full the pressure switch turns off the booster pump. and i have a tunze osmolator from the 5g bucket to the sump.

and i have plans to make it even more redundant.

putting the barrel outside might require more work. get a solid blue barrel so the sun doesn't do bad things. ro/di filters do not like to get real hot or cold so your ro unit will have to be inside. depending on how your ato is set up you won't need a heater. my ato does such small bursts that by the time it makes it to my tank it won't matter in 150+ gallons of 80 degree water. although outside in georgia during the winter you may need to take steps so that doesn't freeze solid.

Virtuoso
02/21/2011, 04:54 PM
I am tackling the same problem. Someone mentioned usplastics earlier in the thread and I actually just found them today when doing some research on my own. Something like this - http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23323&catid=755

And in regards to having the RODI outside, it is actually doable as long as you know that you have to keep it out of the sun and that you want to keep the temperature above 60 if you can help it, definitely do not want it to freeze. Link to the thread I started on the topic here - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1980334

kctango
02/22/2011, 06:44 AM
Yeah, I have one of those rubbermade sheds that I plan to use to house the equipment and tank. This way in the winter months (about 2) I can keep a small ceramic heater to keep it from freezing. of course I will add foam insulation board around the walls and ceiling. The tank that I was panning on using is a RV water storage tank which can be picked up real cheap.