PDA

View Full Version : Actinics

Shellyfish
02/21/2011, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure if I have this right but from what I understand actinics are used more for the dusk/dawn effect and bringing out colors right? They don't actually provide much usable lights for corals?

The reason I ask is because I think I will only be able to go with a 4 bulb fixture and I want to maximize the light I can get. I also plan on using led moonlights. Instead of running 2 actinics and 2 10k bulbs I was thinking of switching out one of the actinics for a 12k or 14k bulb. Would this work or would the color look bad?

IndyReefMan
02/21/2011, 04:17 PM
I assume that you are talking about a T-5 fixture and not a CF fixture? If so, I would consider using ATI blue plus bulbs instead of Actinic. They will look more blue than violet, but produce a very good amount of PAR (unlike actinic). Try two of those and then two other bulbs of your choice to get the look that you desire. Grim usually recommends an ATI Purple Plus and an ATI Aquablue to go with those.

Shellyfish
02/21/2011, 04:43 PM
What bulbs would you get if you were using Geissmann or URI? I don't think I have an ATI supplier around me.

IndyReefMan
02/21/2011, 04:51 PM
Gmann makes their own version of the Blue Plus and I believe that they call it "Actinic Plus". Don't know about URI. You can always order ATI bulbs online and have them delivered to your home. Premium Aquatics carries them.