PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!!!!!! Cycle with Hermits and snails HELP !!!!!!!

bnumair
02/21/2011, 08:10 PM
Guys i moved my 120 gal tank from one house to another. its been setup for 2 weeks now and all my snails have died after the move and 1 or 2 hermits survived. ammonia is contantly staying at 0.5 nitrite and nitrates at 0. nitrates always stay at zero due to sulphur denitrator. i used everything old from the old tank nothing new except for the glass tank itself. i went from a 48x18x31 to a 48x24x25. thats the only change. no corals or fish was added to new tank just for safety, i am starting to see green algae growing all over. i shut my halides off only actanics for 10hrs a day.
my question is moving everything from an establised tank should have not caused a cycle. but if it did can i add hermits and snail at this stage to keep algae under control or should i wait for tank to cycle from ammonia to nitrite and then nitrites to zero as nitrates will never be over 0(sulphure denitrator).
please advice
thanks

natsak1
02/21/2011, 08:26 PM
When I moved across town, I kept as much old water as possible in my 90 gallon. I still had to go through a cycle, but it was pretty short. I definitely wouldn't add anything to the tank until the cycle was complete because more dead hermits or snails would add to the time it takes to cycle. After it cycles, I would just do some water changes to help get rid of the algae. Hope this helps.

bnumair
02/21/2011, 08:32 PM
note, i did use mostly all the old water as well, only topped off with new saltwater maybe 20 gals at most.

coraljunky
02/21/2011, 08:37 PM
Did you reuse the sand? If so, you likely stirred up some nasty.

patsfan1130
02/21/2011, 08:40 PM
You want to wait.... Keep up with your water changes and don't add anything for a couple of weeks after you have zero ammonia. suck up as much algea as you can during w/c

sent from my Droid incredible

bnumair
02/21/2011, 11:45 PM
yes i did move the sand and it did get stirred up a lot. water was yellowish green for 2 days before clearing out. hair algae is small to be brushed off rocks and walls of the tank. which i do clean it. dont wanna do water change due to tank in cycle. or should i?