PDA

View Full Version : how to stick the frags using epoxy ?

chercm
02/22/2011, 07:58 AM
i always have problems as the corals do not seems to stick well

any tips ?

allsps40
02/22/2011, 08:22 AM
Mix epoxy up, stick in on LR and push frag into epoxy. I started using super glue gel cause epoxy sucks.

chercm
02/22/2011, 08:23 AM
the slightly bigger pieces cannot use glue

SDguy
02/22/2011, 08:26 AM
Use both.

This works every time for me...

Take steel brush. Brush clean surface of live rock where frag is to be attached. The surface must be free of algae,detritus, etc. Also, the steel brush will "rough up" the surface, allowing the glue to adhere better. This is all done without removing the rock from the water. Next, remove the frag from the water, and do the same thing to the surface of the frag that is to be glued. If it is a frag plug, I usually just dremel off the peg. I also will crisscross score the surface of the plug/disc, again, so the glue will adhere better, especially for larger pieces. Rinse off any dust made by the steel brush or dremel. Next, take an appropriate amount of Aquamend epoxy (depending on size of frag) and knead it thoroughly. Pat dry the surface of the frag to be glued with a paper towel. Add superglue gel to this surface. Squish the epoxy ball onto the superglue gelled surface. Add superglue gel to the opposite side of the epoxy ball. Place frag into water. A skin will form over the superglue gel. Firmly squish the epoxy ball onto the already cleaned surface of the live rock. You may need to slightly rotate the frag as you press, so that the skin on the superglue gel is broken. This will ensure proper contact between aquamend and live rock. Hold for anywhere from 5 to 30 or more seconds (again, depending on frag size). Done! :)

Don't touch the frag for at least 24 hours, so that the aquamend fully cures.

HTH

DopeCantWin
02/22/2011, 08:43 AM
+1 on the Superglue Gel if you're using Epoxy. Also very important if you use Epoxy, turn off your skimmer in advance. Let me know if you're having trouble turning it back on after 24 hours, I'll walk you through getting it to work again.

chercm
02/22/2011, 08:58 AM
+1 on the Superglue Gel if you're using Epoxy. Also very important if you use Epoxy, turn off your skimmer in advance. Let me know if you're having trouble turning it back on after 24 hours, I'll walk you through getting it to work again.

how to get it working again?

why do we need to switch off in advance ?

mcoomer
02/22/2011, 09:18 AM
I've used the epoxy and it does take a bit more effort to get a coral to "stick" than if you use the glue gel. What I do is mix up a ball of epoxy and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Once it's firmed up just a bit I make a dimple, insert the base of the frag, and form the epoxy to close the dimple and grip the coral. Then it's off to the tank. I've never had good luck sticking the epoxy to a smooth piece of rock so I always look for a hole, crack, or projection on the rock to attach the epoxy. Hold the epoxy ball in your finger tips and force it into the crack or hole and hold it in place for a minute. Even after doing all that I've had corals come loose. That's why I use gel every chance I can.

As far as turning the skimmer off, I don't but some skimmers seem to really react to the introduction of chemicals in the water and can quickly overflow. If yours does this then simply turn it off for an hour or so after you put the epoxy in place. It may or may not be a problem for you.

Mike