PDA

View Full Version : Seeding dry rock

KJAhp098
02/22/2011, 09:40 PM
I'm planning the set up of my new 140 gallon and I bought 80 lbs of eco saver rock from BRS that I will be seeding in a separate rubbermaid tub from the liverock that I currently have in my 300. I'm hoping this will help the new tank avoid going through a cycle.

My question is if it would be alright to put 100% new saltwater in the new tank as long as I match the parameters from the old tank. I don't want to bring over any of the old water because I had a bad experience with biopellets and I don't want to have the same issues with the new tank. I would acclimate the corals just as usual, but I'm afraid that the tank might cycle if I don't use water from the old tank.

If there are any problems, would something like prodibio biodigest and bioptim help? I would like to eventually do zeovit, but I don't think it would be the best idea right away.

bertoni
02/22/2011, 10:35 PM
Matching the parameters accurately will help reduce any shock, but I'd be inclined to use mostly water from the old tank. I don't think there should be anything much lingering in the saltwater after the pellets have been stopped for a while. I might do some 15% water changes, though, to help. When were the pellets removed?

breiter3
02/23/2011, 07:17 AM
Your water itself isn't going to help or hinder a cycle. Thats not where the bacteria have colonized. It'd be your live rock. That being said, 100% new saltwater isn't going to hurt anything. Just match SG, temp, and pH well, then acclimate.

KJAhp098
02/23/2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks guys. I'll probably use all new water and match the parameters.

I stopped using the biopellets about 6 weeks ago and have done 3 10% water changes since.

Next question...

The reason I stopped using biopellets is because every square inch of live rock and sand bed was covered in some kind of brown bacteria mat. If I use the live rock from my current tank, which still has some brown bacteria on it, and if I blow it off, then put it in to seed the dead rock, should I expect that brown bacteria to transfer over?

I wouldn't think so, but this concern has led me to thinking I should use prodibio or possibly zeovit to seed the rock with bacteria.

HighlandReefer
02/23/2011, 07:34 AM
Unless you kill the rock with bleach or something, it is likely that the organism will transfer over. Are you sure it is a bacteria and not another organism? This organism will likely carry over in rock, sand and water & perhaps equipment if it is attached to it.

HighlandReefer
02/23/2011, 07:40 AM
Generally speaking, if bacterial masses form on rock or sand beds, they can be cleaned off easily and if the tank water conditions are fine, meaning not high in dissolved or suspended organics, phosphate & nitrate, then the bacteria should dissapear once cleaned away. Things like algae, cyano and diatoms can be more of a problem to get rid of.

Diatoms are known as the golden brown algae if that is the color you see.

KJAhp098
02/23/2011, 08:03 AM
I can easily blow it off the rock, then have my filter socks pick it up, but it comes back after a couple days. Although, it seems like each water change delays the amount of time it takes to come back.

HighlandReefer
02/23/2011, 08:17 AM
Good quality close-up pics may help determine better which group of organisms it belongs to. ;)

KJAhp098
02/23/2011, 08:20 AM
Good quality close-up pics may help determine better which group of organisms it belongs to. ;)

Sure. I'll get a pic as soon as I can.

KJAhp098
02/23/2011, 08:50 AM
While you're waiting for a pic, I guess I'll ask a couple cycle related questions.

After seeding the dead rock, what can I expect during the process? How long should I wait? I don't imagine the rock would go through a cycle.

When the new rock is ready, will I be able to put it in the new tank, then transfer over the fish and corals? I won't be bringing over all my fish so the bioload won't be as high

bertoni
02/23/2011, 02:52 PM
I agree that the brown bacteria are very likely to transfer over, even if just the corals and fish are moved.

For the dead rock, I'd just set up the new tank and add the rock, and then feed a tiny bit of fish food every day for a while. After a few weeks, you could test the filtration capacity by adding a larger chunk of fish food.

KJAhp098
02/24/2011, 07:08 PM
Alright, I took some pics. Let me know if it's still too hard to tell. Thanks again.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/kjahp98/008-13.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/kjahp98/007-13.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/kjahp98/004-14.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/kjahp98/003-12.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/kjahp98/001-15.jpg

HighlandReefer
02/24/2011, 07:32 PM
This pest doesn't look like bacteria to me. Perhasp algae or cyano mixed with some dinos. Could be a mix of all three as well. I see a lot of green if the photo color is correct which is more likely an algae as a base which provides harborage for other pests like the cyano and dinos.

KJAhp098
02/24/2011, 07:41 PM
This pest doesn't look like bacteria to me. Perhasp algae or cyano mixed with some dinos. Could be a mix of all three as well. I see a lot of green if the photo color is correct which is more likely an algae as a base which provides harborage for other pests like the cyano and dinos.

The white balance is off...I bacteria (or whatever it is) is just brown. The reason I thought it was bacteria is because I used one type of biopellets about 8 months ago and had a similar reaction.

Do you think it's safe to use a few pieces of this live rock to seed my new dead rock?

HighlandReefer
02/24/2011, 07:55 PM
Personally, if you have had problems trying to get rid of this pest, I would not want it in my tank and would take all precautions to kill it, sterilize the rock and sand and start over fresh. Other hobbyists insist you can get rid of it and would not worry about it. Your option. ;)

KJAhp098
02/24/2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks. I'll feel better starting off with a clean slate. I'll probably pick up a piece or two of live rock from the lfs.

Last question: Would it be alright to use the water from my current tank in the rubbermaid for housing the dead rock?

HighlandReefer
02/25/2011, 06:31 AM
If you want to start over fresh, I would not use the water from your tank. There will be some of this pest in your water column. The other concern is that some of this pest may be on your coral as well. The only thing you can do is to make sure you try and remove as much as possible.

When you start-up your new tank, if you begin to see the pest re-appear, you will want to stay on top of it and nip it in the bud as quickly as possible, by removing it quickly, while maintaining good water quality. I would hold off on introducing coral onto rock until you give time to see if it grows back under good lighting. The pest would be much easier to clean off the rock without coral on them.

The pest may be a cyanobacteria, which do produce toxins in the area it establishes itself. Simply vacuuming it off rock still leaves behind some of it which is attached directly to the rock, only to re-grow back & the toxins are still being produced to prevent other bacteria or coralline from growing there.

KJAhp098
02/25/2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the detail, Cliff.

HighlandReefer
02/25/2011, 08:36 AM
You're welcome. ;)

Good luck with your new system and enjoy. :)