PDA

View Full Version : Could one teach the other?

srusso
02/23/2011, 10:33 AM
A LFS has a bubble tip that is being hosted by an ocellaris, if I buy the anemone and clown, what are the chances that my current ocellaris will follow suit?

Ps. My clown is larger then the clown that would be purchased.

davocean
02/23/2011, 10:37 AM
Yes, it is possible, but not certain if it would be female already and fight w/ your existing.
What size is new guy?
You could get really lucky and they might pair up, if it's small enough to still be a he.
You have just one clown now, correct?

srusso
02/23/2011, 01:31 PM
Yes, it is possible, but not certain if it would be female already and fight w/ your existing.
What size is new guy?
You could get really lucky and they might pair up, if it's small enough to still be a he.
You have just one clown now, correct?

The new guys is pretty small, still a juvie. about the size of a quarter. maybe a little bigger.

Yeah just one clown right now and its a big one. I believe its a female. Recently the top of its head darkened, without doing any research I believe it was the day it become a female.

The other question I have is, I believe the one in the store is a Picasso clown and mine is a true oceillaris, is there an issue here? I figured the picasso is just a morph of the oceillaris...

ReeferBill
02/23/2011, 01:41 PM
Greetings Fellow Reefer ; What size is your set-up?How long has it been up and running? I think you will be fine but you could always trade one of the clowns in for another of the closer sized ones if their is a problem . I purchsed three clowns from the same batch and went back for one more a couple of weeks later and the larger clowns bullied it until it starved to death. So if you see alot of harrassment trade one if them in.Good Luck and Happy Reefing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wildone:

srusso
02/23/2011, 02:16 PM
I dont think it will be an issue, the one I currently has will and I believe is a female. The one I would be adding is small and has to still be a male.

The question is can a Picasso and an Ocellaris pair up?

davocean
02/23/2011, 04:20 PM
Yes, they certainly can.
The safest way to intro is in a specimen container, you should be able to tell if your existing darts at it like it wants to kill it, or just curious, and sometimes we float in container for a couple/few days.
Your tank going by sig seems established, as long as big enough and lights are decent I see no reason to not try.

srusso
02/23/2011, 04:52 PM
Yes, they certainly can.
The safest way to intro is in a specimen container, you should be able to tell if your existing darts at it like it wants to kill it, or just curious, and sometimes we float in container for a couple/few days.
Your tank going by sig seems established, as long as big enough and lights are decent I see no reason to not try.

Tank is a 70 gallon oceanic
Lighting is 250 MH and 4 39w T5 actinic
Tank is 36"long x18"wide x24"deep

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3899&pictureid=26734

The attached picture is where I hope to keep it... but I know it will choose...

srusso
02/24/2011, 12:08 PM
Well! Just called the LFS to get a price on the pair (picasso and bubble tip)...

:eek2:WOW:eek2: that small clown was more money than the bubble tip!!

I may just get the bubble tip and hope my clown hosts it...

I know its a picasso but its not one of his paintings!!! :lol:

srusso
02/26/2011, 05:27 PM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/4a5a9de0-8c05-19be.jpg

Well I got a bubble tip and another clown. Have the new clown in the acclamation cup and my other clown seems to careless that it's in the tank.

srusso
02/26/2011, 05:29 PM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/4a5a9de0-8c9f-2353.jpg

Hopefully they take their new home!

srusso
02/26/2011, 05:31 PM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/4a5a9de0-8d47-972d.jpg

Friends already!

srusso
02/26/2011, 06:03 PM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/4a5a9de0-9499-41db.jpg

Any tips for getting them to attach to your rock? I placed it where I think it will be happy and turned off the pumps for now to keep it from blowing over...

srusso
02/26/2011, 06:37 PM
Anyone? Still have the pumps off... It hasn't moved even a tiny bit...

srusso
02/26/2011, 09:56 PM
Well turning off my pumps didn't help... It did a little but then I saw my fish starting to breath at the top of the tank. O2 must have been low. Turned on my pumps right away... The second they came on the bubble tip floated behind my rock! What felt like 30 minutes of panic trying to grab him... Finally got him in my hand... Grabbed a small Tupperware put a small rock in it. Then took container and wedged into the rim of the tank using my magnet cleaner. A bit of him was poking out of the water while on top of the rock. A lite flow of water skims over the rim of the container and it seems to be working. Wish me luck... Rough start here...

srusso
02/26/2011, 10:07 PM
Here are some pictures

RcToners
02/26/2011, 10:49 PM
BTAs like to have their foot planted in a hole of a rock. To simulate this some people will use a piece of PVC. If you find a size that is appropriate for the foot you can set the anemones foot on top of the opening (and in some cases gently help it into the tube). Once in, you can place it in your tank and cover the pvc with something.

srusso
02/26/2011, 11:11 PM
I slipped from the top of the rock again. Now laying on it's side... It's much more open that before though... Which I guess is a good thing...

It now has a swell on the foot looks to be reaching for the rock. It's going to be a long night of baby sitting an anemone.

srusso
02/26/2011, 11:15 PM
BTAs like to have their foot planted in a hole of a rock. To simulate this some people will use a piece of PVC. If you find a size that is appropriate for the foot you can set the anemones foot on top of the opening (and in some cases gently help it into the tube). Once in, you can place it in your tank and cover the pvc with something.

Seems like a good idea. Although it's midnight here on the east coast so no chance on buying PVC at this time of night. I also feel like I would be stressing it out even more then Iay have already. One I will keep in mind for next time.

AGYDAL
02/26/2011, 11:25 PM
I've never had a BTA (I really want one though) but I do have a Sebae and a Maxi-mini in different tanks neither one attached immediately. The advise I was given when buying my first one was to take a bit of my live rock and move it so it created an area off lower flow then set the nems in that lower flow area...keeps them from bouncing around and allows them to calm down and attach then move to where they please. The Sebae took a few days to attach and he did "tumbleweed"around my tank a time or two before he attached.

Its normal for them not to attach immediately but it still doesn't mean it's not nerve wracking till they do! Good luck!

I love the Picassos...I have a Snowflake Picasso, love the little guy but everyone asks what's wrong with my "Nemo" haha!

srusso
02/27/2011, 08:19 AM
It worked! Last night he attached to the rock in the Tupperware... Also slightly attached to the Tupperware also but I was able to get him out. Used the rock and placed him in the place I wanted.

sleeperls
02/27/2011, 02:08 PM
Looks rather bleached from the pics.

I prefer to feed them mysis when they are in this shape. Hopefully itll settle in for you and accept some food.

rssjsb
02/27/2011, 02:31 PM
Do you still have that flower anemone from your pictures? That could be contributing to the difficulty in acclimating the new guy.

srusso
02/27/2011, 03:34 PM
Looks rather bleached from the pics.

I prefer to feed them mysis when they are in this shape. Hopefully itll settle in for you and accept some food.

I think the picture maybe making it look a little white. In person it's very pink.

It let go of the transfer rock and is happily snuggled into a dent in the rock. Exactly where I wanted it to be. I don't want to jinx myself but I think it will never move.

I think this one is a little more accurate.

Updated... That's the problem, I am using tapatalk to upload photos and they seem washed out once uploaded.

srusso
02/27/2011, 03:37 PM
Do you still have that flower anemone from your pictures? That could be contributing to the difficulty in acclimating the new guy.

Yes, I love it and it's huge!
The BTA is settled in now. They should be fine in the same tank right?

rssjsb
02/27/2011, 04:27 PM
Yes, I love it and it's huge!
The BTA is settled in now. They should be fine in the same tank right?
I've never kept these two together, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge. However, anemones do engage in chemical warfare, so it bears thinking about.

srusso
03/02/2011, 07:01 PM
HOSTING!!!

I was just about to walk the dog, looked at the tank... and got this one!!!
You can hear my dog mad at me, he needs to go!!!

<object width="1280" height="750"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7P3lWpaQHo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7P3lWpaQHo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="750"></embed></object>

Progress on this guy can be found here
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1984184

srusso
03/11/2011, 06:13 PM
That clown eats so much it looks like he is going to pop if he takes another bite! he can't even swim properly after he eats!