PDA

View Full Version : The Mannings Tribute Thread

Koshmar
02/23/2011, 11:11 AM
This is a thread dedicated to the memory of Dr. Raymond B. Manning and Lilly Manning. The two who did so much in the name of mantis shrimp in terms of knowledge. I'm going to be posting my progress on the drawing I am doing in memory of the Mannings here (unless it's against a rule or something and this thread is deleted, which I can totally understand). I'm still figuring out what the image will be. I still want a huge amount of input from you guys that way I know what would be the best to do. Right now I'm thinking meral spread comming out of the page (like it looks real and you feel like your about to be hit with a dactyl). No clue if I'm going to do a specific species either. I really need input. If you guys want to share something about the Mannings or do your own tribute, feel free. This is about the man and woman, the myth, the legend, the Mannings. Not me. Discuss Dr. Manning's papers/research, you name it! :beer::celeb1::artist:

justinl
02/23/2011, 02:30 PM
Good on you man, I look forward to what you come up with. Since it's about the Mannings, maybe showcase one of their major contributions in the artwork somehow. I know they described a whack load of species, but did they do much anatomy/biophysical work? I dunno, a place to start at least. There's a species named after them right? i might be imagning that, but that species might be a good subject if you can find pictures/illustrations.

Koshmar
02/23/2011, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I just did a search and there are several species named after Dr. Manning.....

Acanthosquilla manningi Makarov, 1978
Acoridon manningi Adkison, Heard & Hopkins, 1983
Alain raymondi Ahyong & Ng, 2008
Arcotheres rayi Ahyong & Ng, 2007
Calaxiopsis manningi Komai, 2000
Calaxius manningi Kensley, Lin, & Yu, 2000
Cambarus manningi Hobbs, 1981
Cyclodorippe manningi Tavares, 1993
Eumanningia Crosnier, 2000
Eumanningia pliarthron Crosnier, 2000
Eunephrops manningi (Holthuis, 1975)
Grynaminna Poore, 2000
Holothuria mannigi Pawson, 1978
Lepidophthalmus manningi Felder & Staton, 2000
Lithodes manningi Macpherson, 1988
Lysiosquilla manningi Boyko, 2000
Manningia raymondi Bruce, 1986
Manningia Serčne, 1960
Manningiana Pretzmann, 1972
Manningis Al-Khayat & Jones, 1996
Microprosthema manningi Goy & Felder, 1988
Nannosquilla raymanningi Salgado-Barragán & Hendrickx, 1998
Nanogalathea raymondi Tirmizi, 1980
Naushonia manningi Akvarez, Villalobos, & Iliffe
Neonesidea manningi Maddocks, 1975
Oratosquillina manningi Ahyong, Chan & Liao, 2000
Oxyrhynchaxius manningi Lin, Kensley, & Chan, 2000
Paralomis manningi Williams, Smith, & Baco, 2000
Pontonia manningi Fransen, 2000
Raninella manningi Bishops & Williams, 2000
Raylilia Galil, 2001
Raymanninus Ng, 2000
Raymunida Macpherson & Machordam, 2000
Raysquilla manningi Ahyong, 2000
Raysquilla Ahyong, 2000
Raytheres Campos, 2002
Sergia manningorum Froglia & Gramitto, 2000
Thor manningi Chace, 1972
Trizocheles manningi Forest, 1986
Typton manningi Bruce, 2000
Uroptychus raymondi Baba, 2000

The above list is from:
Paul F. Clark & Frederick R. Schram (2009). "Raymond B. Manning: an appreciation". Journal of Crustacean Biology 29 (4): 431–457. doi:10.1651/09-3158.

0_0 My mind was just blown.... If there ever was a question on who the "GOD of Mantis Shrimp" was, that list just answered it...

And thanks Justinl, your encouragement is greatly appreciated.

justinl
02/24/2011, 02:59 PM
wow no kidding, that's crazy.

Thor manningi Chace, 1972

bwahaha that is the best stomatopod genus ever.

Koshmar
02/28/2011, 01:24 PM
I was given a photo of a water color painting by Dr. Lemaitre some days ago which portrayed a vietnamese species of stomatopod. Dr. Manning supposively was particularly attached to his work in that area. The cool part is though, it was a painting of none other than a G. chiragra! That was my very first mantis shrimp. Talk about crazy coincidence. I think I have my model species for the drawing now. When I get home tonight I plan on beginning the drawing and will start posting the progress regularly in this thread. I'm going with a three dimensional portrait of a G. chiragra busting out of the page and meral spreading the viewer. I'll probably also have the burrow in the background and habitat. I remember when I was meral spreaded by my chiragra, it was quite an experience. Hopefully I can convey it in this drawing.

Peter T
03/02/2011, 04:18 PM
I like your idea. Looking forward to updates in this thread :)

Koshmar
03/05/2011, 01:59 PM
Well it's been quite a difficult week, what else do you do to when you're tired of dealing with life's challenges? You draw!!!!!

Except this little project is actually rather difficult because it's so hard to start. I didn't know it was so difficult to find a pic of a meral spread or to draw it close up. So I started to draw and I'm about to smash my head through a wall. Maybe I should do this when I'm about to fall asleep. (shrugs)

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr277/Koshmar_photos/52a53510.jpg

this is a comparison to show you the scale of what I'm working on.
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr277/Koshmar_photos/c26688c1.jpg

edit: I looked up published papers on stomatopod eye stucture and would like to know if anyone knows if G. chiragra eyes are any different structurally (visably) in comparison with O. scyllarus eyes (which I got a great close up pic of)

Koshmar
03/05/2011, 05:57 PM
Started it. Hopefully I won't make too many mistakes and can use my first as the product. Those eyes though, yeshhh. Tedious and difficult to draw, or rather get excited about drawing. Hopefully this is beginning to look a little something like a G. chiragra eye....

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr277/Koshmar_photos/c1a7445f.jpg

Koshmar
03/05/2011, 08:27 PM
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr277/Koshmar_photos/b5b48777.jpg

same eye later. Whenever I look at my own drawings I think they're aweful. I'd like some input as to whether you guys think this eye looks rushed or not. In the mean time I'm going to work on another part.

Fartin'Gary
03/05/2011, 09:11 PM
What I usually do is work on more than one drawing so you don;t get the burn out from the one. Otherwise you will judge yourself to hard.

Koshmar
03/05/2011, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I have two others I'm working on but after that I just pushed it aside and drew a giant anteater with the free mason symbol on it's head and a saddle on it's back and called it a night and went out.

Fartin'Gary
03/05/2011, 10:25 PM
haha that sounds awesome.

Koshmar
03/06/2011, 09:25 AM
Ok, it does look better now that I got a little sleep but what got me a little worried was the "circular lens things" (I really need to read more papers). They just looked sloppy because, well in nature it's all perfect and uniform. It's kind of hard to draw hundreds of ovals exactyl proportioned and all. I don't know if you can see all the circles but there are rows and rows of them.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr277/Koshmar_photos/c3d2463d.jpg

The whole picture as it stands now:
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr277/Koshmar_photos/81734ae9.jpg

Koshmar
03/10/2011, 05:55 PM
Oh brother, what a week! I think I've spent more nights away from home than in my own bed. Consequentially I have made no progress of my drawing. However! I got home today and will have free time over spring break. I looked at some pictures of stomatopod eyes and now know I made a mistake in drawing one. Depending on the family, they can have a different number of midbands in the middle. Chiragras have six, I drew nine :( . Not only that but the midband facets are larger than the surrounding facets. And the facets are hexigonal in shape....

Sigh. Back to the drawing board!

Dana42078
03/11/2011, 03:28 AM
You got some skills! Wish i could make that a tattoo.

Fartin'Gary
03/11/2011, 10:52 AM
You can, print it out and take it to a good artist. They should be able to replicate it. I want to get a mantis tattoo as well but first I am getting a skull with boobs for eyes.

Koshmar
04/20/2011, 03:32 PM
So it's been awhile but now I'm finished with a huge project I did for my best friend and I'm ready to reopen my Manning project. I'll be starting up again soon but I'll be slow going until finals are done with after the first week of May then I can ramp up my progress. I started on a G. chiragra eye months ago only to find out the structure was inaccurate. I'll do my own looking around but I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me a little info on distinguishing characteristics of chiragras on an up close view. Trying to draw a mantis up close so the it looks like a chiragra. I might dabble in charcoal now too in addition with graphite for this. I'll post what ever sketches I make in preparation for the final work in time. Stay tuned, I haven't forgotten about this!

Koshmar
05/14/2011, 02:29 PM
In preparation for my next "project" (this fairly big one), I drew yet another stomatpod. This one is directly from Roy's external anatomy and explanation page. 3-4 hours, graphite .5mm mech pencil only. I had to hold back on the realitic shading to make sure the parts could be clearly seen. For the tribute drawing I'm looking at 40-80 hours using 4h-6b + mechanical, maybe charcoal though unlikely. God knows how I'm going to do this in the summer while classes are going on starting next week but it shall be done!

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr277/Koshmar_photos/d80e4e4b.jpg

Still trying to work out the specifics on the drawing before I begin again. I'm going with a realistic 3D look.