PDA

View Full Version : Can I plumb my external pump below the sump level?

nightOwl
02/24/2011, 09:18 AM
I am new to external pumps and in the process of plumbing my new tank My 180 Upgrade (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1930510) and have a question about my return pump placement and using a T vs Wye. Is it OK to place the pump below the sump level to ensure water is always available to the intake? The return section of the sump is currently set to 8" of water. In most setups I have seen the pump level with the sump. My pump (Reefflo Snapper) will be located to the right of the stand and then there will be multiple branches back to the tanks. The intake is 2" and the return is 1-1/2". One branch will go to the main tank the other to the frag tank. I also have to decide which line will feed the in-line chiller. It is a Trade-Wind 1/2 HP chiller. I was thinking the branch to the frag tank would feed the chiller and then to the frag tank. I just have to decide if the return from the chiller will go in the frag tank, sump, or main display. So any suggestions will be helpful. So many decisions still to make. The pictures below show what I currently have (dry fit) please excuse the mess in the pictures as I am still figuring things out. Is it better to use a Wye vs a T?

From sump to pump
http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/24750/2290028120048177406S600x600Q85.jpg

With Wye installed
http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/46511/2815667200048177406S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks

nightOwl
02/24/2011, 11:56 PM
Anyone have any input?

Dhummel64
02/25/2011, 12:44 AM
i have the Reeflow Tarpon running for my tank, i think you'll be fine having the line to the pump that way, i have mine straight from the sump, about 1' away. i think the pump is so powerful it sucks very well from the sump.
that way you'll have water there all the time.
i like the Y on the return, i have a T, the water will hit the Y faster then the T because of the angle.
i have a fuge that feeds off my return line with spears ball valve to control the flow.
mine also feeds my GFO and Carbon RXs, less pumps.
not sure on the chiller, i guess i would want the chiller to feed to the DT then to the frag then vice versa.
i also have a small 1/4" tap in the RL that fed my calcium RX, but dont use that anymore.
i did notice that you have a lot of angles in you return line, that will cut back huge on your flow. i made sure i had very few, i have 2 45s in the whole line.
espically when it hits the T in the line, that will kill it.
very nice work on the plumbing, clean job

nightOwl
02/25/2011, 09:30 AM
Dhummel64,
Thank you sooooo much for your input. I was hoping my logic would be fine and you have confirmed that. This is great news. I should have posted a picture of the manifold...I have one that is fed off the return line as well. It will feed my (2) - Two Little Fishes Media Reactors, Calcium Reactor, Kalk Reactor, and a possible UV Sterilizer.

Manifold
http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/45271/2576849900048177406S600x600Q85.jpg

I will play around with the chiller plumbing and possibly create a new thread. I think the display tank option may be better like you mentioned as well. Higher turn over of water volume.

i also have a small 1/4" tap in the RL that fed my calcium RX, but dont use that anymore.
Are not using it because it was clogging up or you are not using the calcium reactor any longer? I was thinking of having one of my ball valves have a 1/4 tap on it for the my calcium reactor.

i did notice that you have a lot of angles in you return line, that will cut back huge on your flow. i made sure i had very few, i have 2 45s in the whole line. I am hoping I can remove some of the angles. I have some flexible PVC arriving today and I am hoping it will help "soften" some of the angles. If you don't mind could you post a picture of your plumbing?

Thanks for the compliments on the plumbing. I tried to look at a lot of examples and keep it simple as possible but still functional.

johnnyb05
02/25/2011, 12:30 PM
personally i would have the ball valve on the other side of the union ( next to sump) that way you can service your pump. your plumbing looks real good.

nightOwl
02/25/2011, 01:49 PM
johnnyb05,
I was looking at it today and thought to myself I need more unions :). I plan to buy three more actually.

One right after the output
One right at the intake
One right after the intake ball valve

I then could remove the pump for servicing while leaving the other pluming pretty much in tact.

Thanks for the compliments on the plumbing.