I just check my calcium and dkh and here are the results:

Calcium: 500ppm (Elos)
DKH: 14 (API) - is this normal? :worried:
Total Alk: 3.5 meq/l (seachem)

I used Reef Crystals, dose only 20 ml of my 2 part

Just a little bit of background:
85-90 gallon tank
I use bio pellets
SPS dominated tank with a few LPS and zoanthids.
I do weekly WCs of 10 gallons.

I read somewhere that borate in salt mix can affect alk readings when tested. Is this true?

Any comments or suggestions to lower my alk to NSW levels?

My sps seem to be happy but could do better. I hope Im just over reacting. :spin3:

jenreef
02/25/2011, 12:22 AM
I just check my calcium and dkh and here are the results:

Calcium: 500ppm (Elos)
DKH: 14 (API) - is this normal? :worried:
Total Alk: 3.5 meq/l (seachem)

I used Reef Crystals, dose only 20 ml of my 2 part

Just a little bit of background:
85-90 gallon tank
I use bio pellets
SPS dominated tank with a few LPS and zoanthids.
I do weekly WCs of 10 gallons.

I read somewhere that borate in salt mix can affect alk readings when tested. Is this true?

Any comments or suggestions to lower my alk to NSW levels?

My sps seem to be happy but could do better. I hope Im just over reacting. :spin3:

i use reef crystals and i do not have a alk problem but i also do not dose the water for the water change. i only dose at the end of the first week. i do water changes every two weeks.

fbryank
02/25/2011, 12:28 AM
i use reef crystals and i do not have a alk problem but i also do not dose the water for the water change. i only dose at the end of the first week. i do water changes every two weeks.

I guess I'll just hold off on the 2 part dosing and test after a week.

Thanks jenreef!

jenreef
02/25/2011, 12:31 AM
I guess I'll just hold off on the 2 part dosing and test after a week.

Thanks jenreef!

you are welcome fbryank im glad i can help

bertoni
02/25/2011, 02:57 AM
The alkalinity might drop on its own in a few days, depending on the consumption rate. The borate level in salt is measured as alkalinity by our test kits, but can't be used by corals, so it can make alkalinity appear normal even though corals can't grow. Borate does not otherwise cause problems with alkalinity kits.

nanojg
02/25/2011, 05:09 AM
How is your growth, that seems like very low consumption for an sps dominant tank

fbryank
02/26/2011, 12:57 AM
My dkh dropped a degree after not dosing 2 part yesterday. :)

Hope I get to target 9 dkh once my params level out.

@ Bertoni - Thanks for the reply. How would we go about in finding out our alk levels if borate is in the way of our test kits? I wouldnt want to have my alk drop without me knowing. :hmm2:

@NanoJG - My orange monti cap has noticable growth (weekly you would notice edges growing out) but some of my frags dont exhibit fast growth. PE is good though. I have about 14-15 frags in my tank.

I also dose Brightwells replenish, potassion, lugols a little under the recommended dose to be on the safe side. I do dose magnesium but Im still waiting for my test kit to arrive so I dose about 10-20ml a week.

I also do weekly regular WCs.

I hope Im not sitting on a problem waiting to happen.

bertoni
02/26/2011, 01:28 AM
There's no practical, accurate way to get the borate level of a tank. SeaChem has a kit, but its accuracy is questionable:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2003/chem.htm

I doubt that's the problem. What is being dosed for alkalinity supplementation? Are any pH buffers being used?

fbryank
02/26/2011, 06:08 AM
@Bertoni - I just dose home made 2 part calcium and alkalinity. My ph is steady at 8.2-8.3.

So the problem now is getting the real readings for my Alk...any suggestions?

wmdick_2007
02/26/2011, 10:06 AM
Yes, my SeaChem ReefStatus Magnesium Carbonate, Borate kit does test for it. End point is hard to read !

HighlandReefer
02/26/2011, 11:08 AM
According to Billy's tests on Reef Crystals when mixed to a salinity of 1.0264 using a properly calibrated refractometer and Salifert Test Kits, these are the results he found:

Reef Crystals

Calcium: 490
Alk: 13 dKH

Given that Reef Cyrstals does have a high alk level, if you don't have many coral or much coralline algae then your tank will not use much alk and you don't need to dose it until the alk level starts to drop.

I would stop dosing any alk supplements until you see a need to dose it. ;)

The borate content of RC is about equal to NSW levels, which is what is used to recommend alk levels for the actual carbonate/bicarbonate content of the total alk. So you should not have to worry about borate when using RC. If you decide to use a salt mix that is higher than NSW, then there would be a concern, like when using the SeaChem salt mixes. ;)

fbryank
02/26/2011, 11:27 AM
@wmdick_2007 - Will check that out

@Highlandreefer - According to my refractometer, my SG is at 1.025. I think that those parameters are just about right since my calcium tested at 500 (elos) and my alk at 13dkh.

I'll just hold off on the dosing and Im waiting for my magnesium test kit to ship.

Thanks for the wonderful tips, guys! Cheers to you and reef central!

HighlandReefer
02/26/2011, 11:34 AM
"Happy Reefing"

According to Billy's test again:

Reef Cyrstal has a mag content around 1440 ppm. The recommend mag level is between 1250-1350. So you should not need to add mag for a while as well. Mag is used much slower than calcium is. ;)

bertoni
02/26/2011, 03:09 PM
If any animals are in trouble, water changes will fix any possible borate buildup quickly.

fbryank
02/27/2011, 10:42 AM
@Highlandreefer and Bertoni - Just did a test and my Cal dropped to 450 after not dosing any 2 part after 2 days and doing a 10 gallon water change. Alk is still at 13dkh (reef crystals). I guess its either I try another salt mix or use NSW.

Thanks for the tips and help guys! Members like you make Reef Central what it is today.

Cheerios!

HighlandReefer
02/27/2011, 11:04 AM
You are welcome.

Thanks for the kind compliments. ;)

wmdick_2007
02/27/2011, 06:18 PM
fbryank --- I would be interested to know the numbers on new mixed Reef Crystals water --- and you say you are running bio-pellets ---> fish or ---> shouldn't Alk be kept low around 8 for a ULNS (Ultra Low Nutrient System) ?

fbryank
02/27/2011, 08:54 PM
Thats exactly why I'm concerned because I dont want to have burnt tips and all So far I see no problems.

Tank Parameters:
Calcium - 450 (elos)
Alk - 13dkh (API)
N03 - below 5 (API)
P04 - .01 (elos)

I have yet to check my newly mixed water. I'll do that on my next water change.