PDA

View Full Version : Was given a tank. And it was using a canister filter????

SAYD
02/25/2011, 08:56 AM
I was given a tank yesterday by my neighbor a 90 gallon bow and all it has is a canister filter set up with ceramic media, filter foam, carbon, and phosguard.

How do I safely get rid of it? Without causing another cycle? she gave some expensive fish too so I don't want do anything that would harm them.

This tank will be sumpless until the summer I have a great hob skimmer though,

y0ung0ne
02/25/2011, 09:14 AM
From what I know and I am still new to this my self. If you want to go to a sump leave the canister setup while you start the new one leave the canister up till the new filtration system is up and has the bioload capable. Once that is done you should be able to take out the canister and everything should be fine. Like I said though I am new and could be wrong but that is my opinion. some one more advanced in the hobby might be able to tell you more.

y0ung0ne
02/25/2011, 09:16 AM
What kinda of canister filter is it?

GPB
02/25/2011, 09:19 AM
FWIW : I use a Fluval 205 as a GFO and GAC reactor. Just change the media about every other week so it doesn't become a nitrate factory.

SAYD
02/25/2011, 09:21 AM
It is a fluval 405

I won't be setting up a sump until summer. But aren't the ceramic balls and foam not the greatest?

JTL
02/25/2011, 09:23 AM
Is there live rock in the tank, if so that is your primary filtration and you should be able to remove the canister. If not then get some LR and add it to the tank, just not all at once. After a month or so you should be able to remove the canister. How are the nitrates?

bkvreef
02/25/2011, 09:24 AM
I think the reason why the negativity about the canister is having to keeping it clean. As long as you keep it clean I think it would be fine.

y0ung0ne
02/25/2011, 09:32 AM
Yeah it is a bit of work but at the same time not bad. If you dont have live rock I would look at artificial let the bacteria you need build on it then do the transfer if you add already cured it could cause a small cycle. Atleast it is what I read unless you add little at a time. If I am wrong please some one correct it so that I know and so does everyone else.