PDA

View Full Version : Newbie live rock question

KRBNSOL
02/25/2011, 09:31 PM
Hi Everyone - newbie question.

I started a tank a couple of weeks ago with some live rock from the LFS. According to the employee, the rock had been in their tanks for a couple of weeks.

I've been testing for ammonia and have not encountered the spike and have had the LFS test as well. Does this mean the rock was "mostly" cured prior to installation or am I rushing this whole process? :confused:

WXB
02/25/2011, 09:34 PM
The rock normaly is cured before you get it. the reason for curing it is to take OUT the ammonia. You will be fine just let your tank cycle a for a good month or more watch for the brown algae then some green then your tank is cycling just fine.

KRBNSOL
02/25/2011, 09:44 PM
WXB - thanks for the reply. Green algae has started to grow on the rocks.

KRBNSOL
02/25/2011, 09:51 PM
WXB - thanks for the reply. Green algae has started to grow on the rocks.

WXB
02/26/2011, 12:32 AM
yeah your doing good. just keep the light on and the flow moving. keep and eye on your water. once you add life it will start to spike here and there but it will level off. thats what your rock is for and with your filter. your good. Any more questions just hit me up. one more thing if it get like hair algea going crazy on it get some hermit crabs and a couple snails to get the process going. they will help out your tank cycle and keep it clean.