PDA

View Full Version : upgrade thoughts 75 to 120 worth it?

malawinovice
02/26/2011, 12:22 AM
I have a 75 gallon with overflow, aquactinics tx5 light, euro reef rs80 skimmer sitting an 20 Long sump.

I can really see dowling out $$$ for an upgrade to 180 gallons.

120 upgrade worth it?

T Diddy
02/26/2011, 12:28 AM
If going from 4ft 75g to a 4ft 120g...absolutely! You could get away with reusing most of your old equipment, and still give your fish/ corals more breathing/growing room.

ultraxr
02/26/2011, 12:36 AM
i absolutely love my 4ft 120 gal. Just as T Diddy mentioned above, you can still utilized your existing equipment plus you have the 2ft depth which I love. I just picked up a second 120 actually. lol

small alien
02/26/2011, 12:38 AM
I think I'd tend to disagree. I have a 75 RR with sump, skimmer, t5, etc. If I did a 120 I'd want a bigger skimmer, second return pump, more power heads, bigger sump, 2 more bulbs on the light fixture plus new tank and stand. That's dang near everything. I kind wish I'd gone with a 120 but I wouldn't upgrade to one now. I'd upgrade to a 180. But the maintenance on a 75 is just very doable so I'm sticking with it for now.

Froggy
02/26/2011, 08:09 AM
In my opinion the upgrade from a 4 ft 75 to a 4 ft 120 is definitely worth it. I did this last year and it is unbelievable the difference the 6" front to back depth makes. Aquascaping can be done in ways that are more interesting to the eye. That 6 inches really makes a BIG difference.

I agree that you will probably want to upgrade your skimmer to a larger one but I disagree that you will need a second return pump and a larger sump. Flow through the sump should be slow and you only need a sump that will accomodate the drain from the display in the event of a power outage etc.

You can easily ramp up the flow in the tank (if needed for the type of reef you have ) with a Maxi-mod flow kit and they are relatively inexpensive. You may want to add another 2 bulb T5 retro kit but depending on the amount of bulbs you have on the 75 and what you keep that may not be neccessary either.

Keep an eye out in your local reef forums/clubs. You can always find people that are selling tanks of all sizes and can find a used 120 for a great price. If you decide against the 180 that will require several equipment upgrades, I believe you will be very happy with what the 120 gives you over the 75.

Joe

malawinovice
02/26/2011, 08:50 AM
Thank you all for the input. I am searching now for used tanks.

Overflow --- single or double
offset or corner

malawinovice
02/26/2011, 08:56 AM
I think I'd tend to disagree. I have a 75 RR with sump, skimmer, t5, etc. If I did a 120 I'd want a bigger skimmer, second return pump, more power heads, bigger sump, 2 more bulbs on the light fixture plus new tank and stand. That's dang near everything. I kind wish I'd gone with a 120 but I wouldn't upgrade to one now. I'd upgrade to a 180. But the maintenance on a 75 is just very doable so I'm sticking with it for now.

hey didnt you ask this question last fall?