PDA

View Full Version : yellow tang picks on coral??

Lynnmw1208
02/26/2011, 01:20 PM
so I was going through my desired stock list when I noticed that my book "Reef Aquarium Fishes" by Scott W. Michael says that yellow tangs might occasionally nip at LPS and soft corals. It doesn't say this anywhere on liveaquaria

Has anyone had theirs do this?

Toddrtrex
02/26/2011, 01:35 PM
The ones I have had never did. However, I have read about blue (( Hepatus )) tangs doing it, so while I wouldn't expect a yellow tang to do it, it wouldn't be out of the realm (( albeit a small chance )) of possibility.

To put it another way -- it would never stop me from getting one.

Mad_Reefer
02/26/2011, 02:27 PM
I've read that all tangs can do this, some more likely than others. Although I've never seen it and if you feed them well, I doubt they will.

NYCBOB
02/26/2011, 02:39 PM
any fish has potential to pick on corals or inverts. yellow tangs, for the most part, r reef safe. it could just be picking on algae near the corals.

saltwater freak
02/26/2011, 03:50 PM
any fish has potential to pick on corals or inverts. yellow tangs, for the most part, r reef safe. it could just be picking on algae near the corals.

+1

i have seen people think their tangs are picking at coral,but for the most part they are just cleaning algae off of the skeletons of the lps corals

I have 2 yellow tangs and a blue tang in different tanks and have never witnessed a tang harming corals

zenpytho
02/26/2011, 04:40 PM
i have a yellow that will go after clove polyps was wondering where they were disappearing to till i saw him do it other than that he doesnt touch anything else

salali
02/26/2011, 04:43 PM
They can be nipping at corals if you have smaller tank than the required for the Yellow tang.

falconut
02/26/2011, 05:53 PM
I had a Yellow Tang for over 4 years and it would occationally nip at my finger leather. The shortly after adding a 4" Blue Maxima, I caught it nipping it. So, out it came. It's pretty rare, but did happen to me.

jwoyshnar
02/26/2011, 05:57 PM
Like stated above most tangs do. I have a hippo and a yellow that nip every now and then, never really noticed too much damage.