PDA

View Full Version : Leaning tank what to do?

pws
02/26/2011, 09:44 PM
I did a test water run to check for leaks. That checked out fine but noticed the floor slopes down a little so the tank does also towards the front. What can I do to make it level. Will it do anything to the tank?

evsalty
02/26/2011, 09:45 PM
Put shims under the stand where needed.

jdyer88
02/26/2011, 09:54 PM
yes it will put pressure on one side of the tank, which is bad. cut some shims out of a good hardwood to shim the stand level. Also, at the hardware store you can get plastic shims made for toilets. you shim it where necessary and then with a razor knife cut a little line into the excess part of the shim, take a flathead sd and a hammer, tap the shim where you made the cut and it will pop right off. you won't even know there are shims there when you are done. whatever you decide to do, do it before you add water

brutuscz
02/26/2011, 11:09 PM
Gotta get that right!! I had this issue years ago with the floor. I actually took a car jack and heavy duty wood board and jacked it up in the section needed until it was perfectly even (check with a level). Then...they sell load bearing adjustable poles in home depot. You can then place them permanently to support the floor( I placed a wood board between the pole and the actual floor.). Then, you remove the jack and wood board. This worked very well for me. The load bearing poles are made to level a floor and were about $25-30.

brutuscz
02/26/2011, 11:22 PM
Here it is....it is called a jack post. If the floor is the issue, shims are not good enough. They will balance things temporarily, but the floor may sag further. It is even possible for it to collapse or the wood to give under the weight!!! I had a construction friend help me with this and it worked very well. Jack it up...and put one or two of these in. Problem was solved for me!!
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100540359/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

m.gumbert
02/26/2011, 11:50 PM
If you have access to air bags they work great. That"s how I lifted my 150 slowly so I could shim it in the front. But...most people don't I just happen to be a firefighter where we do technical rescue also.

evsalty
02/27/2011, 01:38 AM
Here it is....it is called a jack post. If the floor is the issue, shims are not good enough. They will balance things temporarily, but the floor may sag further. It is even possible for it to collapse or the wood to give under the weight!!! I had a construction friend help me with this and it worked very well. Jack it up...and put one or two of these in. Problem was solved for me!!
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100540359/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Those would work for the OP if the home is a basement home. But if it is a slab home like mine then those would not work.

pws
02/27/2011, 07:22 AM
I just looked at the joints under the floor and better get one of those. The first joint running under my tank is cut out from the tub pipes hanging down... Then the second one is braced twice very close to the tank. Will this raise the floor cause it seems like all the floors slope in this house. I thought they designed it like that for some reason.

brutuscz
02/27/2011, 07:04 PM
I am no construction expert. Luckily, I had one help me with this. I think if you use a 2+ton car jack...it will raise the floor. I do not see how it couldn't?? When you put in the jack post...make sure it is on a supportive piece of wood. 2X4 or something similar. No just directly touching the ceiling. Beteer to distribute the weight over the length of a strong, new wood board. So, it is almost like having another beam there. With my old 150 gal tank...I had a metal frame stand. The left side was right on a beam, and no issues. The right side legs were between two beams...and it was sinking. It was gradually getting worse, and the difference was about an inch when I had to act. The construction guy who helped said he was sure the legs on the right would have eventually gone through the floor, leading to a big collapse. So...dont wait!!! It was actually easy to do once I bought the parts and started to work.

sasharotty
02/27/2011, 07:09 PM
How off is it?? If its less than 1/2" i would just leave it.My 150 sloped to the right by 1/2" for 3 years and never had an issue.

LaOtIn
02/27/2011, 07:49 PM
just a shot in the dark, but find another spot in the house for the tank? Like an area that is level....

Sk8r
02/27/2011, 10:03 PM
Use a plumb bob to find the angle of lean, and that will tell you how much you need to correct it, ie, how much to shim.

pws
02/28/2011, 08:28 AM
I am going to get a support with some wood and support the side that one of the supports are cut and then shim it.

brutuscz
02/28/2011, 07:19 PM
Good...better to do a more permanent fix like that. Safety first!!