PDA

View Full Version : Running freshwater through skimmer

iwishtofish
02/27/2011, 08:22 AM
I'll be doing a wet-test before long on my 75g setup, and I'd like to run fresh water through the entire system to check for leaks, etc. Having the concern that my sump won't have enough free space for backflow, I'd like to fill the skimmer as well.

Would there be any problems with running fresh water through the skimmer for this purpose? Will I have any problems getting the water level up to a fairly representative level for the test? Is running less dense water through the skimmer in any way harmful to the pump/impeller? Thanks

SWINGRRRR
02/27/2011, 08:23 AM
FW wont hurt it.
What kind of simmer/pump. Remember most skimmer pumps are modified pond fountain pumps.

silverking
02/27/2011, 08:24 AM
no, you will be fine

iwishtofish
02/27/2011, 08:34 AM
FW wont hurt it.
What kind of simmer/pump. Remember most skimmer pumps are modified pond fountain pumps.

It's a Reef Octopus Extreme XS-200 w/the Sicce 1000 pump.

no, you will be fine

Ok, thanks

SWINGRRRR
02/27/2011, 08:41 AM
Let us know how it goes. Also, remember the skimmer wont bubble like you think it should. (I think you already know this, but just in case.)

poolkeeper1
02/27/2011, 08:43 AM
Only thing is it won't make any bubbles in freshwater, So don't think something is wrong with your skimmer. If you want to get bubbles add some Vinegar to the water and it will foam and remove and Oils from the skimmer if new, Unless the Mfg warns not to use Vinegar as some do.
Bill

allsps40
02/27/2011, 08:51 AM
It may make bubbles they will just be very large, like nickel and quarter sized. Yea dont think anything is wrong. Once you run it in salt water it will skimmer and make the millions of micro bubbles. It wont hurt anything to run a skimmer with fresh water.

iwishtofish
02/27/2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks, everyone. Not worried about bubbles right now. I just want to get the amount of water in the skimmer somewhat close to what it will be when the tank is up and running. That way, when it drains after the pumps shut down, I'll know if it dumps too much water back into my sump.