PDA

View Full Version : Please...need advice on clownfish treatment

tcwells23
02/27/2011, 05:36 PM
I've posted a couple posts in the disease forum but don't get any responses. I have a clownfish that I think has mouth rot. It started out as white patches on her mouth and now it is greyish and looks like the bottom her mouth has a hole in the tissue. She can't eat, her mouth stays open all the time and she is unable to close it. My LFS gave me Microbe-Lift Artemiss to use. It is a herbal treatment that boosts the immune system, helping the fish get rid of the bacteria. Has anyone used this and if so, does it work?

ssavader
02/27/2011, 08:51 PM
The pic is not great but your description is compatible with either infection or trauma with secondary infection. You will need to treat with broad spectrum antibiotics. Get Maracyn 1 (gram positive and fungal infections) and Maracyn 2 (gram negative infections) and treat your clown in a QT tank (10 gallons is fine).

Oh yeah, return the microbe lift, get your money back, and find some one new to get advice from. Immune system boosters (if they actually have any value) are useless for treating fish, or any animal/human for that matter, in the midst of a ranging infection.

Good luck.

tcwells23
02/27/2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks...I kinda had that feeling. I asked the LFS about putting the fish into quarantine tank and was told to leave it alone and watch it. He said that trying to catch it and put in QT would stress it more and probably cause it to die. I think if I don't it's going to die anyway...and my other clown is getting white stuff on its mouth now too. Thanks again!