PDA

View Full Version : SWC 160 pump doesn't always work

JW3571
02/27/2011, 08:04 PM
So, when i turn off my skimmer for feedings, when I go to turn it back on it doesn't come on. Maybe after plugging and unplugging 15 times it will start working. The pump is only 1 month old. What's going on, I think these have a 3 year warranty.

votek
02/27/2011, 08:05 PM
sounds like a bad pump

papa_dog
02/27/2011, 08:18 PM
I too have an SWC skimmer (the 200 Extreme) and it does a great job. I am going to assume your's has the Sicce pump too. If so, that is really the only complaint I found (and have) with this skimmer. It has a reputation for not wanting to start sometimes after being off. I also find the pump quite loud and, as per it's reputation, occasionally mine also doesn't want to start up again after being off. I find taking it apart and cleaning it helps (as does giving it a tap), but in the end, I personally intend to replace the pump with another brand and solve both the reliability and noise issues.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but if anyone has any better ideas, I'd really like to hear a solution that doesn't include replacement.

Cheers,
K

frish85
02/27/2011, 09:53 PM
i put my 180 cone skimmer on a wireless lightswitch that you can find at home depot. mine seems to work great turning on and off, pump jitters a little bit when i turn it back on. but give it a little bit and it goes back to normal

EllisJuan
02/28/2011, 12:16 AM
I have a SWC 150 BMK and I believe it uses the same pump as your 160 cone. I also have the same issue. The reseller I bought from is sending me a new magnet for the pump to see if it fixes the issue. The temporary remedy I found is to take the extra vacuum line that cam with the skimmer, attach it to the intake on the air intake adjustment knob and blow into it....that starts it every time...don't know why.

I also just stopped turning mine off. I put a mark where at the optimum spot and just turn down the water level during feeding then turn it back.

Midnightsun
02/28/2011, 03:53 AM
My SWC 160 starts every time without issue and gets shut down at least everyday. That being said, I did read you must make sure the shaft is seated all the way in or the pump will cause issues. Take it apart and verify.

FYI. The SWC 150/160 uses the Atman 2500 pump which is supposed to be a notch above the sicce brand. The Atman does not have the reverse rotation start up issues like the sicce.

Jeff
02/28/2011, 06:27 AM
My SWC 160 Cone came with an Atman pump. It went bad after a few months and I got a fast/free replacement from the place I bought it from (Finsreef).