PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need some help, been out for a while!

X_not_again_x
02/28/2011, 12:04 AM
Well, I have been out of the hobby for a few years and its amazing what you can forget! I have a 25g Solana and I'm in the process of going through my cycle. My first issue I'm having is reaching PH. I test, and it never changes. I wait 24-48 hours and I dose then retest 24 hours later etc etc. I'm stuck at 8.0, I want to get to 8.1 (not a big deal but I'm picky) Also, I never realized how much evaportation I'm going to have with a topless tank. I know people probably think I'm silly for complaining about topping off a 25g tank, but it really does become a hassle topping off daily, or every other day. I'm looking for a link for a semi-cheap ATO, even DIY is fine. I'm not looking at spending a lot of money, but the issue is, I'm not very technical! So I don't know anything about wiring, etc.

Next question, I have topped off twice so far this week, will this lower my PH when I top off? Do I need to be buffing this water? Or no?

Final question, I have a 150W MH + 2 14W T5's, how long should I keep these running per day? 11AM-8PM? Etc etc.

Size of tank: 25g
Age of tank 6 days.
Sump: Solana.
Skimmer: Solana.
nitrate: 0
ammonia: 8ppm +
temperature: 79-81
Water source RO/DO
Salinity: 1.025
Alkalinity: Not testing yet.
Lights 150W MH + 2 14W T5's
Calcium: Dosing but not yesting.
Magnesium Haven't tested yet.
Dosing? Calcium, Buffing as needed, Alk, and seachem reef essentials.

Thanks a lot in advance! I know it's a lot of questions, but help would be amazing!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l205/imu7899/DSC00163.jpg

Michael
02/28/2011, 01:10 AM
Forget the ph, it is fine at 8.0, don't dose anything at all, with the stage your at now there is no need at all. If it was me Id just have the lights on for an hour a day during the cycle so you can check pumps etc are operating properly, when your cycled I'd suggest 8 hrs a day for the halide and 10 for the t5s If you have life in there.

X_not_again_x
02/28/2011, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the fast response. What about the top off water? Will it "dilute" the PH of my tank water? Also, when should I expect my ammonia to start dropping? I'm steady at 8ppm, just waiting for it to start falling. Should I be performing big water changes during the cycling?

wmdick_2007
02/28/2011, 02:40 AM
While cycling a lot of organic acids are formed that lower the PH. No worries !

Michael
02/28/2011, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the fast response. What about the top off water? Will it "dilute" the PH of my tank water? Also, when should I expect my ammonia to start dropping? I'm steady at 8ppm, just waiting for it to start falling. Should I be performing big water changes during the cycling?

I would say no, I have a ph probe connected to a controller over my tank, I have a frehwater resevoir which regually gets pumped into the sump by a tunze top off unit and my ph is steady at 7.9, I can't remember seeing it lower for quite some time, it will raise slightly during the day, but doesnt lower.

Michael
02/28/2011, 05:49 AM
Should I be performing big water changes during the cycling?

sorry forgot to anwer this.

if the rock in your tank is live and cured then I would water change to preserve the life on it, however if it is dead rock then don't bother, let it cycle then water change to dilute the nitrate which will have formed.

Uncle Salty 05
02/28/2011, 09:48 AM
Topping off evaporation with saturated kalkwasser will do wonders for your PH and keep your calcium and alkalinity where they need to be.
It also precipitates phosphates into calcium phosphate so it is a win, win.
It should be dripped slowly at night when your PH is at its lowest.

yeloowtang
02/28/2011, 10:49 AM
hi !!
all the questions have been answered well:beer: but i will ask you about something i have noticed !!

i see the overflow top left corner but i also see the two return flexible pipes down near the right 3/4 ways down...
the concern i have is in a power outage or if the return pump stops you could get a siffon going and the water will drain down to that level :(
i've seen that happen even when people have it coming out from the top and bent down 6" bellow surface..
you might want to test that and double test it and even look for a check valve for you return line...
like i said it's only from looking at the picture and guessing the set up..
trying to avoid you a huge mess if possible :)

steff

X_not_again_x
02/28/2011, 12:27 PM
hi !!
all the questions have been answered well:beer: but i will ask you about something i have noticed !!

i see the overflow top left corner but i also see the two return flexible pipes down near the right 3/4 ways down...
the concern i have is in a power outage or if the return pump stops you could get a siffon going and the water will drain down to that level :(
i've seen that happen even when people have it coming out from the top and bent down 6" bellow surface..
you might want to test that and double test it and even look for a check valve for you return line...
like i said it's only from looking at the picture and guessing the set up..
trying to avoid you a huge mess if possible :)

steff

Well there isn't much I can do about it lol, it's a solana. AIO =(

X_not_again_x
02/28/2011, 01:53 PM
Also, another thing I guess I should have added, the rock WAS live when I got it but had some hair/bubble algae so I scrubbed it all off and did a lot of boiling water dips. Then let it dry outside for like 4 days. I know I had A LOT of die off, pods, brittles, etc etc. It smelled like die off lol. I know thats why I'm having such a high ammonia spike, but this should have started my cycle right?

Thanks again!

stingythingy45
02/28/2011, 01:59 PM
"Next question, I have topped off twice so far this week, will this lower my PH when I top off? Do I need to be buffing this water? Or no?"

Never chase the PH around with additives.Lots of folks end up crashing a tank doing that.

Uncle Salty 05
02/28/2011, 02:01 PM
Yes, and a long cycle it will be with no beneficial bacteria to process the ammonia.
You might want to get some cured live rock to seed your now dead rock.

stingythingy45
02/28/2011, 02:01 PM
Also, another thing I guess I should have added, the rock WAS live when I got it but had some hair/bubble algae so I scrubbed it all off and did a lot of boiling water dips. Then let it dry outside for like 4 days. I know I had A LOT of die off, pods, brittles, etc etc. It smelled like die off lol. I know thats why I'm having such a high ammonia spike, but this should have started my cycle right?

Thanks again!

That would do it.
That's also how a lot of people kick off a cycle.With uncured rock.

X_not_again_x
02/28/2011, 02:11 PM
As you can see, I'm at the start of my cycle...

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l205/imu7899/DSC00185.jpg

Yes, and a long cycle it will be with no beneficial bacteria to process the ammonia.
You might want to get some cured live rock to seed your now dead rock.

If I put cured live rock in there, won't everything on it just die, with such high ammonia levels?

stingythingy45
02/28/2011, 02:34 PM
Yup,you're peaking ammonia.
You don't need to put any LR in there.The bacteria colony will grow on it's own.

X_not_again_x
02/28/2011, 02:41 PM
Would a scoop of live sand from an established tank help at all?

Uncle Salty 05
02/28/2011, 02:45 PM
Wouldn't hurt.
Be sure to take the top 1/2" or so. That is where bacterial populations are highest. Don't scoop all the way to the bottom or could do more harm than good.

jdyer88
02/28/2011, 02:58 PM
Well there isn't much I can do about it lol, it's a solana. AIO =(

just put a check valve on the return line!

X_not_again_x
02/28/2011, 03:08 PM
just put a check valve on the return line!

I've never heard of anyone having any overflow problems with the Solana, but I'll look into it.

yeloowtang
02/28/2011, 06:46 PM
hey !!!
i`ve looked up your tank info on the web and seems that the flex returns are hook up to a pump behing that wall !!! so you should be fine :) no chance of a spill..everything is sealed in there.

sorry i alarmed you !! i asumed they came from a sump under your cabinet in wich case a gravity fed siffon could happen if the pump stoped !! and that coul have emptied your tank 3/4 way down :(
thats why jdyer88 and i mentioned a check valve to prevent water going back down the tube !!

all looks good :cool:

steff

X_not_again_x
02/28/2011, 07:22 PM
hey !!!
i`ve looked up your tank info on the web and seems that the flex returns are hook up to a pump behing that wall !!! so you should be fine :) no chance of a spill..everything is sealed in there.

sorry i alarmed you !! i asumed they came from a sump under your cabinet in wich case a gravity fed siffon could happen if the pump stoped !! and that coul have emptied your tank 3/4 way down :(
thats why jdyer88 and i mentioned a check valve to prevent water going back down the tube !!

all looks good :cool:

steff

Thanks =D