PDA

View Full Version : Do I REALLY need to change my R/O cartridges now?

chazman113
02/28/2011, 05:43 AM
I have an R/O system for my 40 gallon tank. I would say I go through about 200 gallons every 6 months. Do I really need to change the pre-filters for that little amount of water? I'm thinking more like change the pre-filters every year @ 400 gallons of use. My D/I chamber hasn't changed color in over a year. My feed water is about 50ppm. Thoughts?

pkirby
02/28/2011, 05:52 AM
My opinion is as long as my tds on the output is reading 0... I'm not changing the filters... I'm not an expert, but I am pretty sure the recommended replacement period is based on the average user. If you are above average use it'll need replaced sooner, etc...If you use it very little it can go longer between replacement... The other huge factor is the tds of the incoming water... If your incoming water is only 50ppm that's very low, which is good and should make the filter last longer

Midnightsun
02/28/2011, 06:10 AM
If the pre filters are still bright white in color then I would say you are fine. However, if they are brownish, make the change. The prefilters are relatively cheap @ around $10. Only change the resin if the color change has indicated to do so.

IMHO. Why take the chance running questionable pre-filters? More crap will get to your resin and ro membrane shortening their life substantially and they are not cheap in comparison. Better off to put in new pre-filters every 6 months to extend the life of the expensive filters.

Midnightsun
02/28/2011, 06:12 AM
My opinion is as long as my tds on the output is reading 0... I'm not changing the filters... I'm not an expert, but I am pretty sure the recommended replacement period is based on the average user. If you are above average use it'll need replaced sooner, etc...If you use it very little it can go longer between replacement... The other huge factor is the tds of the incoming water... If your incoming water is only 50ppm that's very low, which is good and should make the filter last longer

Not good thinking because when the tds meter does read change you will need to change the ro membrane @ $100. See above post. :)

jeremyblu
02/28/2011, 07:00 AM
just my 2cents and from a water softner installer we recomend changing your filters 6 months to a year depending on what your running i change mine ever year but i also have a water softner set up when my year comes around my TDS is reading about 50