PDA

View Full Version : Best Book for Salt Tanks

BoisBlancBoy
02/28/2011, 03:14 PM
Hey guys, could you recommend the best overall book from the basics to the advanced techniques? I dont have access to the internet as much as I would like so I would like to have a book that I could read to learn as much as I can and then ask some questions from there. If anyone could help me out that would be great!

Brandon

deangelr
02/28/2011, 04:19 PM
The Reef Aquarium Vol 2 and 3 are all you need.. This is the bible of many hobbyists

seapug
02/28/2011, 04:22 PM
The Reef Aquarium Vol 2 and 3 are all you need.. This is the bible of many hobbyists

+1. Really just volume 3, IMO. 1 and 2 are more of coral & anemone care/ID reference books. Vol 3 really goes into depth about filtration, water quality, setup, design, lighting, etc.

C0rp
02/28/2011, 11:19 PM
the conscientious marine aquarist by robert fenner

Trademark
02/28/2011, 11:28 PM

+1 to this book, I loan it out to new to the hobby, and to experienced hobbiest, but the best info ever is right here

tmz
03/01/2011, 08:59 AM
If I had to choose just one it would be the Reef Aquarium Vol 3 by Sprung and Delbeek.. Eric Boneman's Aquariums Corals is great too but more specific to corals. There are others, I reference regularly including Ron Shimeks Marine fish and Marine invertebrates. Check out the Reef Chemistry articles on the Reef Chemistry forum. Randy Farely is a terrific resource.

mwladdicted
03/01/2011, 09:13 AM
I also say The Reef Aquarium Vol. 3. Lots of really great information in there and the book breaks it down barney style for the most part.
Cheers

JBOD77
03/01/2011, 09:37 AM
+1 to this book, I loan it out to new to the hobby, and to experienced hobbiest, but the best info ever is right here

+2 ALL INCLUSIVE. from FOWLR to advanced reef setups it all in one book

The Punisher
03/01/2011, 11:35 AM

Definitely this one, and I'd also add Martin Moe's Marine Aquarium Handbook.

saltjohnswharf
03/01/2011, 01:36 PM

BIG +1

Thousands of hobbyist take his word as GOLD. Ever since I converted to www.wetwebmedia.com my systems have been amazing. This book even has easy food recipes. Loved it.

fish77
03/01/2011, 03:49 PM
I would also have to say The Reef Aquarium Vol. 3, Amazing book.

BoisBlancBoy
03/01/2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I couldnt believe the price for Reef Aquariums very expensive, but the conscientious aquarist was pretty inexpensive if you got it used. I was looking for them on amazon.

Couple of quick questions. I have a 240 gal. fresh water tank. Is it either to maintain a larger tank than a smaller one? I know in fresh water it makes a huge difference, my big tank is almost self run, while my little tanks, 55 and a couple 10's I have to do more regular maintenance to.

Second question, can you cultivate your own live rock? Get unestablished rock and put it with live rock and over time it also become live? If so how long would it take, also let me know why it cant be done if that is the case?

Thanks

saltjohnswharf
03/01/2011, 05:39 PM
Also look for books on www.half.com

Easier to maintain larger system... kinda. Larger aquariums need larger equipment and more water to be changed. Before going salt plan it out. For a 240 gallon tank you can buy a 20 or 30 gallon aquarium to make new water. Keep filtration clean and have plenty of live rock for a good bio filter. It may be more work in some respects but, like freshwater, the results are much better with a large system.

Dry rock is getting to be a VERY common alternative to 100% live rock. The process of aquaculturing live rock is more popular than ever. Check out http://www.liverockranch.com/page/page/6544418.htm Their rock starts as dry rock and they put it in the ocean to cure. Or you can buy a few pounds of live rock and add your own dry rock. That is the path I am taking. Check out: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/eco-rox-fiji-dry-rock

Bulk Reef Supply is really great about answering all your questions about dry rock. It can be just as beautiful as any 100% live rock system.